AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   New Plugin Submissions (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Plugins, quantity, quality (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=11201)

Johnny got his gun 03-12-2005 07:36

Plugins, quantity, quality

<rant>
We have a lot of plugins here in the Plugins forum.
A lot of them are good, well-written and even posted right, ie following the rules for posting that have been stickied.

Then, there are quite a number of plugins that fullfil only one, a few, or in some cases none of the above criteria.

I'd just like to state that I'm fed up with those and that I from now on will be even harder with trashing plugins that don't comply with the rules.
Badly coded plugins that do stuff in a silly way that there obviously are better and more sleek ways of doing will be trashed.

Why?

Reason 1: This is to protect/help all server admins out there. This should go without saying. If you release a plugin, a general server admin expects that the plugin works. Not everyone knows how to script (and shouldn't really need to either). Any bugs in your plugin, that admin will likely not be able to solve.

Reason 2: As stated above, we have a lot of plugins. There really is no need to have badly written plugins around. Too many people that just learned scripting just too often post the first script they ever wrote. And in many cases they write something like "thanks to XXX who helped me and wrote 99% of this code. I don't really understand anything of it".
When considering if you should post a plugin you wrote or not, think about stuff like: "Has this been written before? (redundancy warning) Did I just start learning scripting and have no real coding experience? (crappy code warning)". If you answer yes to any of those, you probably shouldn't post the code. If your plugin do something cool however, you should probably fix your code using scripting help forum of course! 8)

The goal is to achieve a Plugin forum that contains quality plugins, and hopefully very few bad plugins. It's hard to achieve, of course, but that is the goal.
</rant>

nightscreem 03-12-2005 08:42

AMEN

yeah good job to write that because there are to many plugins
that do the same

Freecode 03-12-2005 15:45

I totaly agree. i think jghg defenatly needs to read this thread and learn from this....... :wink:

manorastroman 03-12-2005 17:57

agreed

FeuerSturm 03-13-2005 05:13

finally we get some cleaning here :D

:attack: :grrr: :gyar: :avast:

robbob4 03-16-2005 20:43

I think we should move all approved plugins to a diff forum and leave all the rest here so people can work on them still, you should also move (archive) really old plugins to a inactive forum or something possibly... just suggestions.

TotalNoobScripter 03-30-2005 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbob4
I think we should move all approved plugins to a diff forum and leave all the rest here so people can work on them still, you should also move (archive) really old plugins to a inactive forum or something possibly... just suggestions.

that would be nice.

scriptyboy 09-24-2005 20:18

I totally agree...i just started to learn small and how to write plugins...and so far i have a few successful ones...such as AMXVOTEKICK and UNBURYME...I admit that i had help...but i wrote the plugin and others helped me clean it up a bit...I think it is fair to give credit to people that helped work out bugs, but not post a plugin that someone else made. Great post JGHG.

Z3US 06-04-2006 10:17

I agree 8)