AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Scripting Help (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to learn amxx scripting? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=330214)

nacho312 01-24-2021 15:01

How to learn amxx scripting?

Hello, first sorry if this is not the right section, I just wanna ask, like the tittle says, How can we learn amxx scripting? also does learning c++ makes it easier? are they similar? FYI I'm zero at programming and I really would like to start, Thanks alot for reading!

Black Rose 01-24-2021 15:28

Re: How to learn amxx scripting?

Similar or not doesn't really matter. You will always have easier to learn if you know another programming language because you understand a lot of the basics already and can see patterns by looking at others code.

I wouldn't call them extremely similar but they have some things in common. The syntax has similarities (but so does many other languages).

I would recommend AMXXPAWN a good starting point since memory is extremely simplified.
Everything is 32-bit "cells" or an array of them. Integer, strings, floats, booleans... everything. No need for casting.

Start by looking at simple plugins and just write similar plugins yourself. There are also numerous threads on this forum on where to begin.

I recommend trying to write a plugin with a console command that will give you an amount of health, armor, money or similar as your first project. Then it kind of depends on where you want your knowledge to grow.

nacho312 01-24-2021 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Rose (Post 2734129)
Similar or not doesn't really matter. You will always have easier to learn if you know another programming language because you understand a lot of the basics already and can see patterns by looking at others code.

I wouldn't call them extremely similar but they have some things in common. The syntax has similarities (but so does many other languages).

I would recommend AMXXPAWN a good starting point since memory is extremely simplified.
Everything is 32-bit "cells" or an array of them. Integer, strings, floats, booleans... everything. No need for casting.

Start by looking at simple plugins and just write similar plugins yourself. There are also numerous threads on this forum on where to begin.

I recommend trying to write a plugin with a console command that will give you an amount of health, armor, money or similar as your first project. Then it kind of depends on where you want your knowledge to grow.

Great tips, Thanks very much!

fysiks 01-24-2021 16:58

First lesson: Search, Search, Search. For example, you might have found that many other people have asked this question or that there is an entire subforum dedicated to tutorials and there is even a thread that lists a bunch of good ones.

nacho312 01-24-2021 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by fysiks (Post 2734150)
First lesson: Search, Search, Search. For example, you might have found that many other people have asked this question or that there is an entire subforum dedicated to tutorials and there is even a thread that lists a bunch of good ones.

Yeah thank you!

lexzor 01-24-2021 18:34

after making some types of plugins that black rose proposed to you above you can try to make some menus and learn to use nvault

Isiah Scott 12-15-2021 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fysiks (Post 2734150)

Thank you so much for these recommendations! Your recommendations are really very helpful to me. Believe it or not, switching to something humanitarian helped me a lot while studying amxx scripting. I have read several articles about Shakespeare on the site https://graduateway.com/shakespeare-essay-topics/, and while learning scripting, I often read his works. It helped me a lot morally.

Cristian505 12-18-2021 06:35

copy-paste :)

Dragos 12-18-2021 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristian505 (Post 2766372)
copy-paste :)

that's how you do? =]]]

HamletEagle 12-18-2021 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos (Post 2766380)
that's how you do? =]]]

While learning, especially at the beginning, copy-pasting is perfectly fine as long as you try to understand the code. Just don't pretend it is yours, use copy-pasting solely as a learning technique.