AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   GIMP - Sawce? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=71289)

Styles 05-12-2008 14:13

GIMP - Sawce?

Anyone using Ubuntu, have you heard of Gimp? Is it really as good as photoshop?

Sawce?! You know anything?

Thanks!

Xanimos 05-12-2008 14:18

Re: GIMP - Sawce?

Anything you can do in Photoshop you can do in GIMP, its just done a little differently.

Roach 05-12-2008 15:03

you calling sawce a gimp?

stupok 05-12-2008 15:18

In fact, I remember reading an article ages ago that suggested GIMP could do things BEYOND the capabilities of Photoshop if you install some third-party plugins or some such tomfoolery. It was an article about the magic-wand tool.

I've used both and I prefer Photoshop because I've used it longer, but both can do it all.

Dr. Jan Itor 05-12-2008 15:20

id prefer photshop CS3 instead of gimp

sawce 05-12-2008 15:22

The GIMP's UI is absolutely atrocious.

slmclarengt 05-12-2008 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by styles (Post 624864)
Anyone using Ubuntu, have you heard of Gimp? Is it really as good as photoshop?

Sawce?! You know anything?

Thanks!

I use it on Ubuntu and on Windows because they have cross-developed it for Windows as well. It is a very strong and potentially more powerful image editing software than Photoshop but that brings me to why it's not winning over everyone:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawce (Post 624905)
The GIMP's UI is absolutely atrocious.

Sawce is right; the GIMP GUI is way uglier and less user-friendly, if you will than Photoshop.

Slmclarengt

v3x 05-12-2008 17:51

Yes, it is pretty darn ugly. Also, it uses 3 separate windows; which I find to be very annoying. The tools also annoy me because I'm used to Photoshop.

Xanimos 05-12-2008 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by v3x (Post 624994)
Yes, it is pretty darn ugly. Also, it uses 3 separate windows; which I find to be very annoying. The tools also annoy me because I'm used to Photoshop.

The multiple windows don't bother me so much on Ubuntu simply for the fact that there are multiple desktops to utilize.

Lord_Destros 05-12-2008 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanimos (Post 625010)
The multiple windows don't bother me so much on Ubuntu simply for the fact that there are multiple desktops to utilize.

+1, I actually prefer it to the Photoshop setup for this reason. The only time this annoys me is when I accidentally "lose" a GIMP window on another desktop. I can see why this would be annoying for the Windows releases though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmclarengt (Post 624915)
Sawce is right; the GIMP GUI is way uglier and less user-friendly, if you will than Photoshop.

Slmclarengt

For basic things I find GIMP easier to use than Photoshop. I don't really do hardcore image editing though so my opinions are probably inaccurate XD. The main plus for why I prefer GIMP (for Linux atleast as I've never tried the Windows release) is it loads quite a bit faster and seems less resource intensive than Photoshop does for me on Windows.