AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Suggestions / Requests (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [REQ] Set time & date on server (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=318954)

terrum 10-02-2019 08:51

[REQ] Set time & date on server

I need a plugin that can trick the server into thinking it is a certain date and/or time. The reason for this is because TFC has a birthday/christmas mode that automatically activates on certain days.

The command tfc_birthday does not cover christmas and also the mode only changes models, it does not have the full effect of a birthday/christmas (notifications, sounds, etc).

OciXCrom 10-02-2019 13:32

Re: [REQ] Set time & date on server

Change the computer's time?

terrum 10-02-2019 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OciXCrom (Post 2668583)
Change the computer's time?

Not an option unfortunately, because the server is run in a production environment where multiple services rely on accurate time.

Infact I wouldn't even have my home computer set to the incorrect time. Lots of services actually rely on accurate time.

DJEarthQuake 10-02-2019 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrum (Post 2668567)
I need a plugin that can trick the server into thinking it is a certain date and/or time. The reason for this is because TFC has a birthday/christmas mode that automatically activates on certain days.

The command tfc_birthday does not cover christmas and also the mode only changes models, it does not have the full effect of a birthday/christmas (notifications, sounds, etc).

That's the long way of going around the barn.
Make the sought after functions to be called with client_cmd (anytime you want) instead of exclusively by Holiday dates.

terrum 10-02-2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2668603)
Make the sought after functions to be called with client_cmd (anytime you want) instead of exclusively by Holiday dates.

That would work too, assuming we can find the function that executes the birthday/christmas modes in order to make it into a command.

DJEarthQuake 10-02-2019 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrum (Post 2668605)
assuming we can find the function

Where's the source?

terrum 10-02-2019 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2668638)
Where's the source?

It's an assumption.

DJEarthQuake 10-03-2019 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fysiks (Post 1693370)
Is there a reason you don't just modify "the other mod"?

terrum 10-03-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake (Post 2668646)
Is there a reason you don't just modify "the other mod"?

Because it's not a 'mod'. It's built in to the game and it does not offer any way of enabling (at least all its features) at will.

fysiks 10-03-2019 22:26

So I guess, based on the restrictions you've noted, there is no good solution. Though, I've seen some "fake time" libraries that might be able to give a running process a fake time (on Linux).