AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Plugin/Gameplay Ideas and Requests (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   CS:GO failed to join session workaround (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=243124)

musosoft 06-30-2014 03:59

CS:GO failed to join session workaround

Sometimes when connection to steam servers is lost, it's needed to reset session, which seems to be possible by disconnecting all players. Until this is done, players will get "Failed to join session" error while connecting. Would be awesome if someone know better way to get rind of this. What I've heard it's possible to check connection with steam servers with SteamWorks extension, and then when connection problem is detected, force players to reconnect (like this), so session will be renewed. I know this is ugly workaround, but as Valve wasn't able to fix this mandatory bug for a long time, this remains on us. If you know about better solution, feel free to share info with us. Someone with good scripting experience would then make this thing real. Will do my best with testing, debugging (can also donate this). Thanks everyone involved in helping with this issue, this will appreciate everyone from CS:GO custom servers community.

winniethepooh 07-01-2014 09:54

Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround

CS:GO doesn't allow the server to execute the retry command on the client like other games.

There is a hidden variable - steamworks_sessionid_server. I've noticed that it tends to get set to 0 when the connection is lost. When I was messing with it last I think I observed that it can be reset to 0 for other reasons too.

musosoft 07-01-2014 10:09

That's shame, CS:GO doesn't even have askconnect_accept. There must be better workaround, something like Bacardi said.

Oh, I hate that game a lot, how it became business only!

Nolongerinthegame 07-01-2014 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniethepooh (Post 2160253)
CS:GO doesn't allow the server to execute the retry command on the client like other games.

There is a hidden variable - steamworks_sessionid_server. I've noticed that it tends to get set to 0 when the connection is lost. When I was messing with it last I think I observed that it can be reset to 0 for other reasons too.

What about a mod where it detects when this value is 0? I presume it will have to send a heartbeat to the server every 30 seconds-1 minute

JoB2C 07-03-2014 05:57

With a plugin, you don't need to read this cvar, SteamWorks is exposing a forward for it.

A great thing would be to find a way to reconnect to steam without disconnecting players.

musosoft 07-03-2014 06:36

It does reconnect to steam isn't it? I thought only session needs to be renewed.

Dr. Greg House 09-19-2014 15:30

No go. "steamworks_sessionid_server" fluctuates for no reason. It can be 0 without the bug happening, or better yet, it oftentimes is just 0 and switches back the next second.

mrazza 09-19-2014 16:08

The issue isn't really steamworks. The steamworks connection can be lost (player skins go away) and the game is still joinable, right? We're worried specifically about the game coordinator.

I'm currently investigating hooking the game coordinator OnDisconnected and OnConnected functions and testing if they're a reliable source of information. So far they appear to be but I would like to collect more data first.

sejbr 09-19-2014 16:40

I've seen a plugin on one server that somehow checked if the session died and automatically restarted it if it was needed but I can't get a hold of the owner. Does anyone know how session availability can be checked reliably?
As Dr. Greg House said, "steamworks_sessionid_server" sometimes equals to 0 without bug happening and overall seems to fluctuate for no reason.

TheWho 09-19-2014 19:43

Please forget steamworks_sessionid_server.
Valve have to fix it otherwise use the method with checking player connection.