AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   SourceMod Anti-Cheat (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Temporary mirror for SMAC source code (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=230522)

psychonic 11-26-2013 21:14

Temporary mirror for SMAC source code

The BitBucket repository is down for the moment. Kigen childishly issued a DMCA takedown request against it rather than waiting for the miniscule amount of his code that was left in the project to be documented to his exact specification. BitBucket removed the project immediately without any question or fact-finding.

We'll look to get it up somewhere else in the near-ish future, without any of Kigen's code remaining so that we are not bound by his antics.

Edit: It's now available again in the stickied SMAC Download thread.

-The SMAC Team

allienaded 11-26-2013 23:26

Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code

GitHub?

GoD-Tony 11-27-2013 01:27

1 Attachment(s)
I had a local clone of the latest SMAC-Wiki repo, which I'll post here as a backup.

StrikerMan780 11-27-2013 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychonic (Post 2065810)
Kigen childishly issued a DMCA takedown request against it rather than waiting for the miniscule amount of his code that was left in the project to be documented to his exact specification. BitBucket removed the project immediately without any question or fact-finding.

Wow, what a douchebag. Not only for pulling that, but for cowardly hiding behind and abusing DMCA takedown requests to bully people around. (Also, paying $200 to file the claim on a free and open-source plugin over the simple mistake of forgetting a GPL License header is a bit stupid. Hell, he could have just as easily made a fork, put the header back in, and done a pull request, right?)

(Does he even have a registered copyright over it, in order for it to hold actual legal ground? Also, regarding the GPL License, doesn't the DMCA completely stand against the founding principles of it all?)

asherkin 11-27-2013 11:00

There is no cost to send a DMCA notice, nor is there any requirement to have a registered copyright (it just makes things simpler), the notice sent was also perfectly valid.

The shame is that this was all done less than a week after noting why the already-implemented changes weren't enough, that is in no way a reasonable time frame and a DMCA notice is a very, very aggressive act in such a case.

The copyright notices shouldn't have been removed when they were, and there is some debate over their validity in most of SMAC's files, but Kigen handled this very poorly.

In all the years AM have been dealing with people ignoring the SourceMod license, we've never had to send a single DMCA takedown notice - it's a horrible way to deal with a misunderstanding.

StrikerMan780 11-27-2013 11:05

I could have sworn it cost $199 in fees to process a takedown, last time I looked. (btw, my post was edited.) http://www.dmca.com/Takedowns.aspx?a...FcYWMgodLG4Auw

Quote:

Originally Posted by asherkin (Post 2065975)
In all the years AM have been dealing with people ignoring the SourceMod license, we've never had to send a single DMCA takedown notice - it's a horrible way to deal with a misunderstanding.

Indeed.

(Also am I the only one who thinks DMCA should be renamed the "Anti-Innovation Act", For several different reasons? Protecting Intellectual Property not exactly being one of them.)

YamiKaitou 11-27-2013 11:13

It only costs money if you use an online server to assist you. If you file it yourself, it is free.

StrikerMan780 11-27-2013 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiKaitou (Post 2065979)
It only costs money if you use an online server to assist you. If you file it yourself, it is free.

Alright, that makes sense. It's still a dick move though, and this whole thing could have been solved more diplomatically from what I can see.

allienaded 11-28-2013 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoD-Tony (Post 2065846)
I had a local clone of the latest SMAC-Wiki repo, which I'll post here as a backup.

Made a simple web mirror for convenience: removed

If you want me to take it down just let me know. I will also replace that link with a 301 redirect as soon as the official wiki is back up.

KorDen 11-29-2013 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychonic (Post 2065810)
For anyone needing it, there is a temporary mirror of the SMAC source code here:
http://hg.alliedmods.net/users/skamo...mail.com/smac/

This repository not available too :? Ah, source code now in main archive, OK