AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What is better, MAM or SourceMod? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=73670)

psychotic 07-03-2008 19:07

What is better, MAM or SourceMod?

Because I have mani, and I know how to use it to it's almost-full extent (a few of the more confusing commands are beyond my grasp, but I'm getting there), and I was wondering, does SourceMod add anything to the experience of CSS admin/client that isn't already in Mani? Is there anything in Mani that isn't is SM? Is there a place where I can view all the commands/features of SM?

Generally, in your opinion, which is better from an administrator's point of view?

This leads me to my next question: Is there a way to disable all the SourceMod functions, leaving only the ability to host plugins? Like, a way to disable all the built-in functions, leaving only the functions necessary to run plugins (like CSS:DM for example). If there is, please either link me somewhere that tells me or tell me here.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

psychotic

Cooltad 07-03-2008 19:35

Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?

Delete all in the plugins folder then only plugins you want will be loaded.
(addons/sourcemod/plugins)

and I run Mani with SM.

NoS 07-03-2008 20:55

I have tried multiple times to run SourceMod alone, but the experience was horrible, Mani with SourceMod works perfectly. If you have mani, the only reason you should get SM is for KAC and VBAC, other than those two, theres nothing I need that I dont have in Mani.

Cooltad 07-03-2008 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoS (Post 647549)
I have tried multiple times to run SourceMod alone, but the experience was horrible, Mani with SourceMod works perfectly. If you have mani, the only reason you should get SM is for KAC and VBAC, other than those two, theres nothing I need that I dont have in Mani.

Actually there are hundreds of things SM has that Mani doesn't have..

NoS 07-03-2008 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltad (Post 647560)
Actually there are hundreds of things SM has that Mani doesn't have..

Doesn't mean I need it. Look at the majority of places, LANFusion, Infexxxious all of which are still running on Mani.

psychotic 07-03-2008 21:51

SM Just confuses the hell outta me, so many txt files and stuff that I don't know what they are for. Mani is just more organized IMHO. And, as you said, Mani doesn't have much else. And thanks for that plugin delete tip. All I have in SM plugins folder now is CSSDM. Thanks again!

P.S. I wasn't really interested in using SM to admin anyway. Mani does what I want for the server atm, not much more I would want it to do.

willy1234x1 07-04-2008 00:24

I found the move from Mani Admin to SourceMod wonderful. I love SM and disown Mani now. So I don't know what you guys are talking about "harder" why don't you check the documentation. It should make things much easier for you. http://wiki.alliedmods.net/index.php..._Documentation

DontWannaName 07-04-2008 00:42

Mani is for one, not being updated and therefore is missing content. Sourcemod is constantly being updated and has working content. Hmmm working or not working. No updates or updates. Fixes or no fixes. I like SM, maybe both for CSS but for TF2 there is no comparison.

BAILOPAN 07-04-2008 01:39

Hrm? SourceMod has too many files and you don't know what they do? Mani has plenty of text files.

The files are named to be discoverable. I.e. you should only touch things in "configs" or "plugins," and the names are self explanatory. If you're looking to do a specific task you should read the documentation.

NoS 07-04-2008 01:59

I don't think SourceMod is hard to learn, its just uncomfortable. I don't want to track down an advertisement plugin and etc. Mani is still being updated, theres just no really big issues with it. If you can install it correctly your server will run fine.

SourceMod is new thats why it will be updated. If you look at the source engine theres no updates so there isn't any point in updating Mani.

Last update was May 04, 2008 from Mani so its not like there isn't anymore updates.