AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   News (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Changes - Part 2: Rolling Release Cycle (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=271402)

psychonic 09-11-2015 16:04

Changes - Part 2: Rolling Release Cycle

SourceMod is now officially on a rolling release cycle.

What this means to you
There won't be any more "point" releases (1.7.3, etc). Instead, we're going to continue to make an effort to keep the stable branch stable, and better relay information about what has changed in each build.

Major releases with potential API breakage will still occur and will still have release notes, along with continued updates even after the branch is considered to be stable.

The old Downloads and Snapshots pages on the SourceMod website have been merged and now contain more useful information than before. There are immediate links at the top to download the latest build for your OS, as well as other recent builds displayed below with information about the changes in that build over the previous one.

Additionally, all builds (formerly referred to as snapshots) include full localization data as well as updated Geo-IP data, just like previous release versions.

We're still sorting out some small things, but most everything is in place now. If you come across any issues with these changes, please post a comment in this thread.

Maxximou5 09-11-2015 16:17

Re: Changes - Part 2: Rolling Release Cycle

Excellent! The most important part for me was knowing the changes from the releases and snapshots. Now it's right there.

WildCard65 09-11-2015 16:29

This change should make it easier for people to get the correct SM version to work with a game server

Drixevel 09-11-2015 16:30

Nice job, this is much cleaner than the older system plus people can know when a major crash bug is fixed if a game like TF2 updates faster, neat.

Powerlord 09-11-2015 16:43

Will MetaMod: Source be moved over to rolling releases as well?

Also a word to the wise: FindMap's syntax changed between the Stable (1.7) and Unstable (1.8) builds:

Code:

// 1.7
native FindMapResult FindMap(char[] map, int maxlen);

// 1.8
native FindMapResult FindMap(const char[] map, char[] foundmap, int maxlen);

There's a compatibility shim in place to make code that uses FindMap compiled under 1.7 work in 1.8, but you can't compile code that uses the older syntax with the current unstable/development compiler.

Edit: This wasn't relevant before as FindMap appeared in 1.7.3, but since it's now part of the "release" Stable version, now it is relevant.

Wilczek 09-11-2015 16:58

I appreciate the change, but man - the OS icons are awful. Why don't use flat desing to match other parts of the website?

psychonic 09-11-2015 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerlord (Post 2342016)
Will MetaMod: Source be moved over to rolling releases as well?

All signs point to yes.

asherkin 09-11-2015 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilczek (Post 2342025)
I appreciate the change, but man - the OS icons are awful. Why don't use flat desing to match other parts of the website?

The page is functional, it hasn't had its sprinkle of pixel dust yet.
Unless you'd prefer to have had this delayed a few months just over the aesthetic of a couple of buttons?

Wilczek 09-11-2015 17:16

Naah, keep up the good work! :) I could help you with the icons, if you wish.

Fearts 09-11-2015 18:33

I like this update, much easier that browsing through that waterfall page. I did like the waterfall page though because it showed when a build was being processed and time remaining. Will there be anything like that for compile times on this new page?