AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Admins are wiped when steam's acting weird? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=199042)

Visual77 10-23-2012 15:07

Admins are wiped when steam's acting weird?

Only moments ago all my admins lost their admin flags at the same time steam was acting weird.
I rebooted the server but it was still the same.

I then went in to core.cfg and disabled "SteamAuthstringValidation" and rebooted the server. Worked.
Is SteamAuthstringValidation really a stable feautre in the 1.5.0 branch because it seems to have flaws?

Has anyone else been having this problem? It's the first time for me.

asherkin 10-23-2012 15:11

Re: Admins are wiped when steam's acting weird?

It's doing exactly what it's meant to, not providing permissions to non-validated clients.

iamevilbear 10-23-2012 15:13

STEAM_ID_PENDING. Something with the steam servers? Having the same issue.

Visual77 10-23-2012 15:19

Why have it on by defualt? I was told that it was like that for like atleast 15 min before I disabled it :)

Steam seems to have a problem when viewing game info at the moment. It's returning "not playing on any servers" for everyone.

asherkin 10-23-2012 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visual77 (Post 1824250)
Why have it on by defualt?

Because security should be opt-out, not opt-in.

charrer 10-23-2012 15:20

All bans also seem to not work, both SM and srcds related. Tried sm_bans and rcon banid, banned player still kept on coming back. What could cause that?

asherkin 10-23-2012 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by charrer (Post 1824254)
All bans also seem to not work, both SM and srcds related. Tried sm_bans and rcon banid, banned player still kept on coming back. What could cause that?

Unless CS:GO does something really stupid, engine bans are checked against the unverified SteamID, so this shouldn't affect them.

iamevilbear 10-23-2012 15:22

Got it, Thanks asherkin. We have a pin system so I can turn SteamAuthstringValidation off for now. Thanks again. I will be re-enabling it of course. Smart feature was not aware of it

Squirrel 10-23-2012 15:29

Well, today all my admins report that they have no access to SM. I checked the admins.cfg and related files, and they are all there, but still unable to use any admin-commands. I don't experience any other problems with steam atm.

Maybe any recent CS:GO update has broken the SM-steam-auth-thingy?
Anyway, in that case, maybe I could turn off SteamAuthstringValidation and it will then work again? And hopefully it is "safe enough" for now? :)

asherkin 10-23-2012 15:29

The Steam back-end is having issues and not validating clients, I suggest just waiting it out.