AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   SourceBans / SourceBans++ (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Suggestion - Making a PHP and Node.js Version rather than moving away from PHP (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=321442)

Ah_Roon 02-11-2020 02:29

Suggestion - Making a PHP and Node.js Version rather than moving away from PHP

I just thought about the future of SourceBans++ version about moving away from PHP, and I got an idea instead of that way.

What about releasing PHP version and Node.js version of SourceBans++ separately?
For more compatibility, server owners can use PHP version. If the hosting provider supports Node.JS and for more performance, they could use the Node.js Version.

DarkDeviL 02-11-2020 14:29

Re: Suggestion - Making a PHP and Node.js Version rather than moving away from PHP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ah_Roon (Post 2683365)
What about releasing PHP version and Node.js version of SourceBans++ separately?

Key is "separately"...

That would typically also mean separate maintainers, and two different - but yet identical projects, which often leads to the one of them being somehow maintained, while the other one is ending up on getting forgotten.

Quote:

If the hosting provider supports Node.JS and for more performance, they could use the Node.js Version.

That performance part can be argued about.

There are so many things suggesting both that PHP would be the better choice for speed / performance, but also things suggesting Node.JS is.

As to your compatibility part, e.g.:

Quote:

For more compatibility, server owners can use PHP version.

It makes absolutely no sense to make one project in two different ways, where the one would ideally yell "compatibility issues" for the majority.

So where PHP is available on like all webhosting companies? But Node.JS not?

There I would personally keep the focussing on PHP one, eventually by rewriting older, legacy(, and potentially "shitty") parts, rather than moving over to / focussing in another way, where the majority of the (current) user base might not even have a chance of being able to follow.

There are already a various of different threads similar to "how many 128tick servers can I run on this little $1/mo pizza slice VPS?", - with that attitude, a move away from PHP and towards something that is even more complicated for a lot of users, that really yells for trouble going forward..

That's obviously my 2 cents / view on the situation.

Ah_Roon 02-12-2020 03:44

Re: Suggestion - Making a PHP and Node.js Version rather than moving away from PHP

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkDeviL (Post 2683426)
Key is "separately"...

That would typically also mean separate maintainers, and two different - but yet identical projects, which often leads to the one of them being somehow maintained, while the other one is ending up on getting forgotten.

That performance part can be argued about.

There are so many things suggesting both that PHP would be the better choice for speed / performance, but also things suggesting Node.JS is.

As to your compatibility part, e.g.:

It makes absolutely no sense to make one project in two different ways, where the one would ideally yell "compatibility issues" for the majority.

So where PHP is available on like all webhosting companies? But Node.JS not?

There I would personally keep the focussing on PHP one, eventually by rewriting older, legacy(, and potentially "shitty") parts, rather than moving over to / focussing in another way, where the majority of the (current) user base might not even have a chance of being able to follow.

There are already a various of different threads similar to "how many 128tick servers can I run on this little $1/mo pizza slice VPS?", - with that attitude, a move away from PHP and towards something that is even more complicated for a lot of users, that really yells for trouble going forward..

That's obviously my 2 cents / view on the situation.

Sorry for my bad English. It doesn't mean the project will go separately. It means it divides into 2 versions, the maintainer is the same. For example, Let's say version 2.0 is about to be released. So there will be 2 versions on the zip file, one is for PHP, another one is for Node.js.

RumbleFrog 02-12-2020 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ah_Roon (Post 2683468)
Sorry for my bad English. It doesn't mean the project will go separately. It means it divides into 2 versions, the maintainer is the same. For example, Let's say version 2.0 is about to be released. So there will be 2 versions on the zip file, one is for PHP, another one is for Node.js.

That's still requiring double the effort to maintain the project, which will eventually lead to favoring one over the other and fragmentation.