AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Where did you learn to script? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=66423)

>)SL(< | Wicked 01-30-2008 21:43

Where did you learn to script?

Well, the title explains it all...

Tell where you first learned how to code/script, in any language.

I'll go first.

The first language that I learned was C++. I starting taking a course on it in school last year. Now, I'm in Computer Programming III, just finished Computer Programming II.

I JUST learned some Pawn a couple days ago, and I'm trying to get better with this language.

Bugsy 01-30-2008 22:51

Re: Where did you learn to script?

I took 2 C++ courses in college and I was able to apply that knowledge to Pawn.

I learned VB by experimentation, after 11 years I have gotten very good.

hlstriker 01-30-2008 23:08

In high school I started with Visual Basic, Pascal, and Java.

PM 01-31-2008 02:43

I started with Clipper on DOS (it resembled C much more than the wikipedia example suggests). Then VB on Windows, C/C++ (Windows, Linux, Embedded), Pawn/Small when I started playing around with AMX Mod, some lousy and unprofessional PHP in between, trying out python and LISP atm :)

And I wrote a lot of batch files, including an interpreter for an assembly-like language entirely in (Win2000 compatible) batch files.

>)SL(< | Wicked 01-31-2008 07:41

Very interesting :). Im only in highschool and the programming that I have been learning is college level :D

Right now, in programming III, we are learning Java, its VERY different then C++.

I was actually able to understand Pawn more then I was able to a year ago now that i have learned about arrays, functions and classes.

Pro Patria Finland 01-31-2008 09:17

I did alot of AmigaBASIC when I was a wee kiddo.

I think it was somewhere around a year ago when I picked up Pawn. This year in school I've had a course on C, which is teh easy.

Languages I am fairly good at:
C, Pawn, Brainfuck

Languages that I've written but don't remember that well:
PHP, C++, LOLCODE

stupok 01-31-2008 20:13

no wai! you code in brainfuck? i don't believe it, not in a brazillion years

Zenith77 01-31-2008 22:59

My first language was Pawn. In fact, one of AMXX's plugins was the first page of source code I had ever seen in my life. I instantaneously became intriged, and thus learned pawn. Still continuing with AMXX, I became interested in C++. At first, I just used to look at the code and try to figure it out and see what it did based on my knowledge of native functionality and miscellaneous C++ tutorials available on the internet.. Later, I then bought a book on C++, and learned a great deal more. Right now, I'm in a high school Java programming course, which is very easy to say the least (as it takes C/C++ concepts and simplifies things....in a bad way).

These are what I consider to be my "core" languages, not only in experience, but with what I am most interested in (although I know a lot more). After I start doing a lot more C++ coding, I hope to dive into ASM, which I already have a little experience with.

So in short, I pretty much owe everything I know about programming to the guys who started and maintained AMXX, and all of its community members. Hello community.

kp_uparrow 01-31-2008 23:04

i started with html then javascript......
then i found this site, and learned from the wiki, you guys in the scripting section and from plugin source code examples, along with some php mysql
im now in high school learning java

slmclarengt 02-01-2008 03:12

Ew I remember those days of High School Java; getting kicked out of the class because I knew more than the instructor who had taken one Java class over the summer, therefore I always noted how useless the class was.

My origins of code stem from Liberty Basic where I wrote a simple script and unknowing that it required a compiler to actually develop into an executable (exe), I changed the file extension from .lbs to .exe and tried running it. Boy that set me back for about a month trying to delete that file! It was nowhere, no msconfig/autoexec/task manager! It was impossible to delete until I figured out how to write a forceful remove script (later learning I could have used DOS to remove it easily :-)).

I moved onto markup like HTML, which was fun. Then of course I was beginning into my still pursued running of my clan in CS 1.6 enticing me to learn Pawn or at that time "Small" - such a cool name :-). That was all the way back in early 2004 and late 2003 - I was a freshman, I had nothing better to do...

I began a love for programming and moved onto C++ which I had a dying passion for until my Hard Drive died on Christmas 2005 or 2006 with all my code on it; none/very little of which I backed up. Ever since I've just stopped completely with C++ but occasionally helping those in need. I did learn Java, which was such a waste of my life/time as I frankly usually used the time in Java class to write for AMXX :-).

Anyways, there's my life story of programming; I can be a bit long-winded, sorry ;-).

Slmclarengt