AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - General (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=344895)

WATCH_D0GS UNITED 12-24-2023 09:36

Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mordekay (Post 2814859)
:mrgreen:

If you thought this was funny, imagine this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2590227

Mordekay 12-25-2023 15:50

Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Website
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

DarkDeviL 01-08-2024 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATCH_D0GS UNITED (Post 2814858)
Very simple solution:

In order to sign-up at AlliedModders.net, please send $3 to the following address..."

Sounds like we're having some of the same thoughts? :D

Well, once in the past, on Discord, someone was bringing up something, that sounded like complaints that the administrators/moderators were not doing enough in order to combat the spam on the forums, although I didn't comment it at that time, I was thinking about a comment like:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkDeviL's Thought
We can always set up a $100 USD registration fee, that you have to pay in order to have your account activated. It will likely kill a lot of the spam bots, but it will surely also prevent some people from being able to participate.

I'm however under the impression that we would get a lot of hate with that...

Quote:

That would stop them all at once.

I don't think we would be stopping all of them at once, alone with a $3 fee though.

Quote:

But to be fair to users out of not so rich countries, it should be any currency and a low number.

I don't think a low number would give the solution to the problem though.

In the end, we're always getting back to:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkDeviL (Post 2814844)
That being said, I will be more than happy to admit that I also believe more things could be tried, in order to act more pro-actively to the issues.

But two questions comes up again and again, in regards to that:
  1. How many false positives do we want?
  2. What is most important?
    a) Effective spam bot defence
    b) That we are not limiting the ability for regular users to use the forums.

A registration fee could solve 2.a, but it will add complications in regards to 2.b, especially if we're talking about the not so rich countries, as mentioned above.

An alternative to the registration fee could be the KYC kind of way, like banks / financial institutions, where we would require identity documents (e.g. passport, driver license, ...) in order to activate the account.

But such kind of KYC would likely be scaring people away, or otherwise give complications just like a registration fee would.

mlibre 01-09-2024 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhob94 (Post 2814841)
That would block more real users that suck at math and some spambots would still bypass it :lol:

Of course I exaggerated a little, something as basic as addition and subtraction.

Quote:

A such kind of captcha, or any other kind of captcha, even if you create your own customized one, it will proving it's effect for a very limited amount of time.

It will take some time to adjust, it can serve as a temporary "brake", which is still better than nothing.

WATCH_D0GS UNITED 02-28-2024 14:07

https://i.ibb.co/n6CRQJ6/2024-02-28-120212.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATCH_D0GS UNITED (Post 2814858)
Very simple solution:

In order to sign-up at AlliedModders.net, please send $3 to the following address..."

Jhob94 02-28-2024 15:06

Will never happen. This is a free open source community as it should.
The problem is not the spambots, the problem is that we need more active staff. Also a tool to delete or at least move to a staff-only sub-forum would also be nice to make the forum more clean.

tranhuyenchau2k3 03-10-2024 10:04

:nono::nono::nono:

Neeeeeeeeeel.- 03-13-2024 09:10

Quote:

That being said, I will be more than happy to admit that I also believe more things could be tried, in order to act more pro-actively to the issues.

But two questions comes up again and again, in regards to that:
[LIST=1][*]How many false positives do we want?

I've also manage a forum and adding captcha to <1 month old or <50 posts accounts reduced spam drastically.

+ARUKARI- 03-14-2024 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeeeeeeeeel.- (Post 2819427)
I've also manage a forum and adding captcha to <1 month old or <50 posts accounts reduced spam drastically.

And your forum has a country block.

mlibre 03-14-2024 09:14

the idea of ​​limiting participation in the forum without first making a payment, I don't think it would be a good option, you know why, just look at the donations received and draw your conclusions, I still maintain the hypothesis of implementing an innovative captcha. We are not programmers? get creative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by +ARUKARI- (Post 2819459)
And your forum has a country block.

due to ddos ​​attacks