AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   SourceMod Anti-Cheat (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Download Removed? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=230923)

pubhero 08-07-2014 06:33

Re: download removed?

Nobody not working on new versions from the SMAC? More and more new aimbots undetected by (can bypassing) the "old" SMAC. Thanks for you loser Kigen and your shitty, dead KAC project. All online players will sucking your egoism. Really thank you. Pfff.

Otter 08-07-2014 11:55

From what I can tell, the KAC project seems to be just a shared banlist that SMAC reported to. But shared banlists are easy, no Kigen-code required. There are already plugins that read VAC status, the SteamRep database, and Sourcebans. It wouldn't be difficult to make a plugin that shares a global banlist with other servers.

asherkin 08-07-2014 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 2180390)
From what I can tell, the KAC project seems to be just a shared banlist that SMAC reported to. But shared banlists are easy, no Kigen-code required. There are already plugins that read VAC status, the SteamRep database, and Sourcebans. It wouldn't be difficult to make a plugin that shares a global banlist with other servers.

KAC is the basis for SMAC, SMAC is a derivative work of it (and is thus encumbered by it's copyright).
The current maintainers of SMAC don't wish to acknowledge that, hence this problem.

Otter 08-07-2014 12:22

Ah, I see. I just don't see why he would be such an ass about it. It doesn't look like he gave the guys very long to add the copyright notice back on, even though they should have done it right quick anyway.

pubhero 08-07-2014 13:35

asherkin.
This copyright applies worldwide or just in the United States?
It seems to me a strange thing to talk about copyright, if the program itself is based on open source code.

asherkin 08-07-2014 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pubhero (Post 2180451)
asherkin.
This copyright applies worldwide or just in the United States?
It seems to me a strange thing to talk about copyright, if the program itself is based on open source code.

Worldwide (well, anywhere that's signed the Berne convention, which is pretty much every country).
Open-source licensing only works because of copyright law, licenses define the rights granted by the copyright holders.

TwOzCaR 08-07-2014 16:03

well there is so little kac code left that its unbelievable it have had such an impact like it have now for all gamers / server administrators etc.

not to mention so many new features which never have existed in kac.

we build-ed something totally new on something that was great once, but lacked of updating, which is crucial for an working anti cheat.

now we can't do much but to re add the little headers for the minimum of a existing project, which now is dead. and it killed ours too unfortunately

i deeply regret this situation since i was involved in kac and smac.

pubhero 08-08-2014 05:47

Give for him (Kigen) what he want. Or is this not possible? At all what he want?

Otter 08-08-2014 12:23

It sounds like they did what he asked and he's still being an asshole, from what I've heard.

allienaded 08-08-2014 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 2181075)
It sounds like they did what he asked and he's still being an asshole, from what I've heard.

They added the GPL txt files back as soon as kigen notified them about them missing but that wasn't enough for him he wanted every .sp file to include a header that stated his name and company so yeah basically him being an ass.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=228625

side note: Kigen wasn't banned because of this but because he also filed a DMCA report against the whole alliedmods forum risking the whole site being taken down