PDA

View Full Version : MySqL, SqLite CPU eaters ?

NouveauJoueur
08-09-2009, 14:18
Hey guys, i've a few question that may interest some servers admins.
I'm willing to install some tools on my server that use MySql/ Sqlite databases, but i'm wondering if it wont eat too much CPU.

=> Sourcebans (12 servers)
=> Perma mute/gag/silence accross servers (12 servers)
=> Advertissment (MySql Version) (12 Servers)
=> Rank (on 7-8 of my 12 servers)
=> Knife rank (on 2-3 servers)
=> Reward system (candy stuff on my TF2 server only)

My 12 (more server soon, so more database loads) game servers are not on the same server, but the mysql database will be on the most loaded server (still some power to sell cause I like when the tick ticks good & is stable)

So I need experienced admin with MySql database to answer to those question :

- Do you think it will over-Eat(^^) the CPU ? (I'm new with mysql databases)
- Is their a big CPU eating difference between a MySql Database and Sqlite database for the same task (same plugin)

bluechester
08-09-2009, 15:09
My question is, are you going to host the sql server on the same machine you are hosting the servers from?

If not, you will be fine with the cpu usage.

NouveauJoueur
08-09-2009, 17:42
As I said, the 12 servers are not on the same machine, but the most loaded machine will host the sql database, even if it has some power under his feet to provide a stable tick. So I just wonder about how much all those plugins and their sql feature would eat of cpu.

bluechester
08-09-2009, 18:33
Can I see the machine specs where the sql server will be hosted from?

rodregis
08-09-2009, 22:27
It's hard to "determine overeating of the cpu" without any actual information (ie. server specs,addons,slots,bots?,plugins).

What could be overeating for some, could be undereating for others depending on what kind of load you're currently running at and how over/underloaded your servers are. (12 servers from 2 machines? yes probably overeating, it could be undereating though it all depends on how much you spent or invested into your hardware)

I would imagine the (possible, depending on what ranking system) increased logging from the ranking plugin would possibly take a bite out of cpu depending on how detailed the ranking system is you're looking at implementing.

By most loaded, I hope you don't mean the machine that's runing 6 of your servers and currently running at 90% load. If so then, yes.