PDA

View Full Version : I WANT TO BE A PLUGIN MAKER!

kurdish
12-02-2008, 00:37
Can someone post a tutorial on how to make a smx plugin please i want to make a cool plugin for my clan's server

DontWannaName
12-02-2008, 00:44
You cant just wake up one day and write plugins. You need to know basic C++ before you can write plugins. http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Category:SourceMod_Scripting

bl4nk
12-02-2008, 01:02
You need to know basic C++ before you can write plugins.

Actually SourcePawn is more like C.

Antithasys
12-02-2008, 01:54
You cant just wake up one day and write plugins.

Why not? I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :shock:

CrimsonGT
12-02-2008, 03:14
Read the development section of the wiki. Your going to be clueless if you've never coded in another language before though.

DontWannaName
12-02-2008, 04:49
For pleasure or business... if you know what I mean.... rofl

Zaubermuffin
12-02-2008, 05:20
Yea, it's as easy as you think. Just open notepad, write "/*" and then a description of everything your cool plugin should do, and then "*/". Throw it into your compiler. ??? and then you're done.

I think you think that programming is easier than you actually think what is when I think about it. And begin programming in SourcePawn is not a really good idea in my opinion.

CrimsonGT
12-02-2008, 05:44
Why not? Having previous programming knowledge makes it much easier to just jump into, but a scripting language such as pawn is IMO probably an easier place to start than say c++. Only difference is there is not nearly as much documentation on the fundamentals, whereas if you had started with an actual language.

Zaubermuffin
12-02-2008, 05:46
Well, it's stupid but for example PHP (I don't really love it). It's easy, halfways fast and easy-to-understand. In my opinion much more than Pawn.

pheadxdll
12-02-2008, 12:19
I think making plugins is a great way to start programming. For one, the scripting language is very basic. Your not making entire programs, just scripts. Number two, the language is more or less easy to learn. Plus there's a fantasic wiki with a tutorial to get started. Third, there's a wide array of other plugins to look into to see how something is done and to reference. Additionally, what's funnier than modding video games? SourcePawn is a great way to get into programming.

strontiumdog
12-02-2008, 13:28
1. Have a plan. Decide what kind of plugin you want to write. If you have no direction, then the learning curve will be steeper.

2. Look through other people's source code. Study how they did it. There are some truly great programmers here who will have code in some of their plugins that will help you create your's.

3. Read, read, read. Read the SourceMod wikis, the Scripting forum, this forum, the VALVe wikis (e.g. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Entities) for suggestions and help.

4. New programmers often forget fundementals like knowing the different types of variables, leaving out brackets etc, so be prepared for a lot of frustrating moments. Gradually these fade away as your familiarity with the language increases.

SourcePawn is a great language to learn. It follows the basic structure of other langauges like C and PHP and can be a great stepping stone to learning these languages, too.

CrimsonGT
12-02-2008, 21:57
4. New programmers often forget fundementals like knowing the different types of variables, leaving out brackets etc, so be prepared for a lot of frustrating moments. Gradually these fade away as your familiarity with the language increases.

I know myself, the SM Developers, and a lot of SM plugin writers still leave out brackets and have some very frustrating times scanning over 2000 line plugins trying to figure out why :P Only suggestion is compile A LOT. I wrote a plugin once that was 2800 lines long, and since it was nothing advanced, I just kept writing. When I finally decided to compile at around 1200 lines, I had something like 39 errors just from misstypes, missing brackets, etc. The WORST is putting a ';' after an if statement.

recon0
12-02-2008, 22:48
I know myself, the SM Developers, and a lot of SM plugin writers still leave out brackets and have some very frustrating times scanning over 2000 line plugins trying to figure out why :P Only suggestion is compile A LOT. I wrote a plugin once that was 2800 lines long, and since it was nothing advanced, I just kept writing. When I finally decided to compile at around 1200 lines, I had something like 39 errors just from misstypes, missing brackets, etc. The WORST is putting a ';' after an if statement.
No... The worst is writing a menu system in C++ and wondering why

if (selection = "1")

is always getting triggered even when selection != "1".

Then you remember... Oh... Shit... It's ==

C.Falcon
12-15-2008, 15:36
Actually, coming from a guy who has a decent programming background, i am finding it difficult to jump into pawn scripting.

The wiki's are great, but i find that they do not always have enough information.

The best way to learn is to set up your own local server and tear apart other people's code on it. Basically, i take some one's source and start editing it and adding / removing lines, compile, and run to learn what they do.

(Just don't steal some one's hard work, that will just make you a jack ass)

Also the forums are you friend! Use them wisely.

L. Duke
12-15-2008, 17:18
I WANT TO BE A PLUGIN MAKER!

I WANT TO BE A SIDE OF BACON!

DontWannaName
12-15-2008, 17:40
MMMMM BACON!!! GIMMEE

bman87
12-17-2008, 08:35
I am a decent programmer. I know C# .NET, Java, and a little PHP/HTML.
I do not know C++ or C yet. (On my agenda for my bachelors in CS )

What IDE do you use for SourcePawn? I have been badly spoiled by MVS-2008 and its intelliSense..

recon0
12-17-2008, 16:51
I am a decent programmer. I know C# .NET, Java, and a little PHP/HTML.
I do not know C++ or C yet. (On my agenda for my bachelors in CS )

What IDE do you use for SourcePawn? I have been badly spoiled by MVS-2008 and its intelliSense..
PawnStudio (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pawnstudio)

If you don't know a language or library by heart, having a good IDE is important.

CrimsonGT
12-17-2008, 17:40
I WANT TO BE A SIDE OF BACON!

That is sig material right there. :crab:

strontiumdog
12-18-2008, 00:41
I use Notepad++ !
:D

Zaubermuffin
12-18-2008, 06:15
I'm using SciTE and Firefox.