PDA

View Full Version : TF2: Custom Player Skins on Server

Cooltad
08-14-2008, 18:18
Now, I'm making this thread to see how many people would like to know how to make it so your server has it's own player skins (like what you can get from fpsbanana for the classes, weapons, etc). Now many have told me it's impossible. So I decided to do some r&d and try my best to make it happen.

The result?
A success. I know how to do it. The only reason I have yet to implement it is the time it can take to decompile mdl files, changing the parts I need to in it, the recompiling them. I just haven't felt like doing it yet.

So yea, your server -can- have it's own skins for each weapon, etc.

So before I go about a tutorial, who actually wants to know?

DeviusCreed
08-14-2008, 18:52
If you mean changing an individuals skin only and not the skin for everyone playing a specific class, then yea, please tell. Although if your method involves editing the ctx file to point to a different mdl file for the server to use then its been done. But again that method changes everyone.

Cooltad
08-14-2008, 19:49
If you mean changing an individuals skin only and not the skin for everyone playing a specific class, then yea, please tell. Although if your method involves editing the ctx file to point to a different mdl file for the server to use then its been done. But again that method changes everyone.
Yes it is the method of changing the .ctx file, but that method (assuming you know how to do it as well) can be quite complicated.

And as for individual skins, I have a concept of a SM plugin that would make it work, instead it would fetch a set of different .ctx files per listed individual and such.

DJ Tsunami
08-15-2008, 08:56
Doesn't the forum speak for itself? It's been requested regularly, so of course everyone wants to know.

curlefry
08-17-2008, 10:55
Heck yeah, I wanna know.

r3dh3adkid
08-17-2008, 13:16
Ditto

curlefry
08-17-2008, 13:44
Hmmm...He better not charge us money... XD.

boykevin
08-23-2008, 16:22
Hmmm...He better not charge us money... XD.

lol better not ive been waiting for someone to do this soo long lol
ever since i switched from css to tf2 (even though i still play css) i want ot change models like css does for the fun of it

vtsoxluvr
08-27-2008, 10:59
it would be nice if you wrote a whole tutorial on it, i know the premise i just dont know what values to change and what ones to leave

L. Duke
08-27-2008, 11:09
TF2 handles player models client side. I assume they made this change because different players see different models for the spy.

Since they are handled client side, you can no longer change a player's model individually from a server plugin like you can in CSS.

adfectio
08-28-2008, 15:11
I would like to see this. I've been looking for an answer for a while now.

Cooltad
08-28-2008, 15:40
TF2 handles player models client side. I assume they made this change because different players see different models for the spy.

Since they are handled client side, you can no longer change a player's model individually from a server plugin like you can in CSS.

Wrong. I've tested this before and a simple change in the ctx file allows for different models. Valve never hardcode removes things. For example: On my server, the Pyro health plus (+25 for us) for the backburner is still there (no plugin needed)

L. Duke
08-28-2008, 16:04
But that's not individual players.

Try setting the player model to something else for one player on the server. It doesn't work because the client uses ctx files rather than obeying the model set on that player's entity the way other Valve games do.

Cooltad
08-28-2008, 17:19

Try setting the player model to something else for one player on the server. It doesn't work because the client uses ctx files rather than obeying the model set on that player's entity the way other Valve games do.

It's still possible. Using a plugin, when a client is connecting, after grabbing his steam id you command him to use a different (already) cached ctx file than the default on the server per class. So yes it is sill possible. ^-^

L. Duke
08-28-2008, 18:06
If a client used a different ctx file (if that were even possible to setup from the server), they would see every demoman with a different model. You wouldn't be able to set a client's demoman player model so that other players saw his model different than other demomen players. Therefore, you can't set an individual's player model to a different player model on TF2.

Cooltad
08-28-2008, 18:13
If a client used a different ctx file (if that were even possible to setup from the server), they would see every demoman with a different model. You wouldn't be able to set a client's demoman player model so that other players saw his model different than other demomen players. Therefore, you can't set an individual's player model to a different player model on TF2.

True.

DJ Tsunami
08-29-2008, 06:15
So, if it's possible, when are you going to make this?

crazychicken
08-30-2008, 22:14
i would like to know this

CrimsonGT
09-18-2008, 04:50
Im curious too as I have tried about everything possible and it always crashed the game, so I am quite curious how you managed to achieve this...

Your lack of reply in the thread or any information whatsoever leads me to believe it's BS.

r3dh3adkid
09-19-2008, 12:00
Agree'd

Its possible to change weapons now using the extension above I think, haven't tested it yet but it looks possible so maybe models are aswell

(OMG THERES A NEW CRAB SIMILE! :crab: <3 pRED)

gamma
09-25-2008, 08:27

Can that change be blocked ?

CrimsonGT
09-25-2008, 09:49
No, it is clientside, thus the server cannot do anything.

Cooltad
09-28-2008, 11:15
No, it is clientside, thus the server cannot do anything.
Wrong again.

Easy to do it; real easy:

You need to take a skin for say the wrench from fpsbanana or what have you.
You then need to decompile the file into the 3-5 source files for the skin (been a while so i forgot the exact ext), then you need to modify one of the files so that it points to a different directory than normal; the file has a common directory it functions in in a normal tf2 install, so when you change it.., so using it doesn't overrride the user's default weapons and makes it server-side. Then recompile ; force the client to download the file to the right directory and then change the .ctx file to match where you placed the wrench file.

Yes, it is hard to do. Hard to do like how it's hard to get custom sounds to work with mani. :P

When I get my server back up I may spend the time it takes to get it working again.

CrimsonGT
09-28-2008, 12:29
Well if thats the case, impressive job. I will withhold my karma until its been tested, but I can see this working. I did mess with doing this a couple months ago, but the problem I ran into was the decompiling and recompiling part.

I used the http://www.wunderboy.org/apps/guistudiomdl2.php model decompiler, edited the .qc files to point them to different skins, but started getting strange errors when I tried to recompile about the eyes, and all kinds of stuff.

So what model decompiler did you use and did you have to break anything for it to work?

DJ Tsunami
09-29-2008, 03:46
You're still not giving much information. You know very well it's difficult to find a good model decompiler for TF2, so which one did you use?

toazron1
09-29-2008, 14:03
I don't understand why this is in the tutorials section when cooltad is being very vague and doesn't even give any information on how to accomplish this.

If you don't plan on actually giving any good information for the benefit of the community, this thread needs to be moved.

Cooltad
09-30-2008, 22:46
Like I said, I haven't had the time it takes to do this.

I could spend a few hours getting the same compilers and decompilers I had before; but I don't need to do it.
You guys can be assholes and say "oh your not giving anything to the community blah blah" but your just pissing me off enough NOT to want to make a tutorial.

Once i get my server back up it'll take me around a week to get the compilers and resources and such and actually implementing it.

toazron1, there isn't much else of any forum to put this topic in ;o.

For example; the info i put here would be considered a snippet.

marcusx
10-03-2008, 09:14
Bonjour. Nous avons réussi as compiler un model de joueur pour tf2.

zcout.mdl "model du scout zombie"

Bonne chance.

Hello. We managed to compile as a model for TF2 player.

zcout.mdl "model of the Scout zombie"

Good luck.

Sorry for my english i'm french

http://91.121.163.77/mdl/zscout.rar

CrimsonGT
10-03-2008, 13:06
I just loaded the model files up on the client and server and replaced it in the scout's CTX file and got this error.

"Error Vertex File for 'player/scout.mdl' checksum -265699351 should be -241681017"

r3dh3adkid
10-12-2008, 13:57
has anyone made any progress with this?

CrimsonGT
10-12-2008, 22:29
When someone actually manages to compile a functional model I can do some work with it. Until then, no.

tiki-dog
08-29-2009, 00:23
Did you ever complete this plugin?

it would really help me out :/

naris
08-29-2009, 00:41

True.

He admitted that it's not possible to change the model of an individual player almost a year ago.

noodleboy347
09-25-2009, 23:10
I would like to know.

DJ Tsunami
09-27-2009, 16:30
It's not possible.

Now you know.

noodleboy347
09-28-2009, 18:26
It's not possible.

Now you know.
But... it is!

http://forums.alliedmods.net/[IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/noodleboy347/lololspy.jpghttp://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/noodleboy347/lololspy.jpg

bl4nk
09-28-2009, 18:57
That picture is just showing a client-side model change, not server-side.

Damizean
09-29-2009, 15:57
You can use "skins". Basically hide the player model and create a tf_wearable_item with the selected player model and equip it onto the client.

Since they bonemerge they'll appear animated, but it also will display hundreds of perfomance warnings. So it's not actually recommended unless Valve randomly decided to mergebone all the skeleton.

noodleboy347
10-03-2009, 15:18
That picture is just showing a client-side model change, not server-side.
It's server-side, as Damizean said it was done with the Equipment Manager, and it does create performance warnings BUT I wonder if doing it with just a reskin of the same class would work without the warnings, since it uses the same bones and stuff.

cybersquare420
02-02-2010, 10:33
someone has done this... i dont know how they did it, but the skins stay with the player till they reboot their game... for a while pyros were showing up in my server as women, and some as invisible... they said they were on another server that had custom pyro skins and they didnt know y the skin followed them... if they restarted their game it would go away...

would the equipment solution cause this? or did someone find another way to pull it off?... i dont know enough about coding to know....

noodleboy347
02-02-2010, 23:34
someone has done this... i dont know how they did it, but the skins stay with the player till they reboot their game... for a while pyros were showing up in my server as women, and some as invisible... they said they were on another server that had custom pyro skins and they didnt know y the skin followed them... if they restarted their game it would go away...

would the equipment solution cause this? or did someone find another way to pull it off?... i dont know enough about coding to know....
BZip it into a custom map. That should be "illegal", as it forces players to use their skins.

Cooltad
02-03-2010, 00:25

Doing it via that method is easy, but not recommended at all.

cybersquare420
02-03-2010, 08:04
ahhhh... wow, that is evil... may as well shove a nice virus out with it while ur at it... anyhow i have no intention of doing it... if i ever run skins i want a menu that lets players opt out...

i was just curious how they were doing it... thanx for reply

ku5h
02-08-2010, 07:44
u still making that tut?

LordVader!
02-10-2010, 10:06
I’m inclined to believe CrimsonGT (http://forums.alliedmods.net/member.php?u=31784) and the SM team lack of info = facepalm