PDA

View Full Version : SM_BEACON

TechKnow
11-24-2007, 08:53
Beacon

- by TechKnow -With help from pRED* & dalto's (SuperCommands&1v1)

This Plugin is long over due and that's why once I had gotten it up and running i got it out to you. It is stable and works perfect. This alows an Admin to place a beacon on a disruptive or camping player/s. It requires the SLAY admin flag. It works perfect with pRED*.s Supercommands and Supermenu which I have updated as well. I have included a new smsuper.ini with the commands for beacon built in already. Please checkout my other plugins I have updated and repaired and created.1v1 Knife fight, Bleed HP, Here are the links:
Super Commands http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=553742
1v1 Knife fight http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=553930
Bleed HP http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=554532
Downloads http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=554067
Chicken MOD http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=557778

Command line is:
sm_beacon <name/@all/@t/@ct > <1/0> (1=on/0=off)
. Also I have changed my mind, I will ALSO do, sm_timebomb, sm_freezebomb, and sm_firebomb as a pack.
. Unless i get some challanges of others wanting to do the most popular and WANTED plugins.
. I just wonder why the (BIGWIGS)programmers havent been concentrating on these plugins that EVERYONE WANTS!!
. So everyone can dump mani, then SOURCEMOD WILL RULE!!
. How come i can do this scripting and havent had any school doing it and just started like 3 weeks ago?

Servers running sm_Beacon
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?rulename=sm_beacon_version&ruleval=0.3

Changelog:

0.1Beta - Initial Release
0.2 - Official release
* Made CT rings blue and T rings red
0.3 - Removed timer errors in console

Planed plugins...

sm_dystopia
sm_half
sm_bugs
sm_setmodel
sm_chicken V0.4
sm_timebomb
And many more

Enjoy,
TechKnow

symphyle
11-24-2007, 09:27
Great !! it's fun !!! Thanks for your work !! again and again :)

SM_CHICKIN is comming soon!!

OMG !!! :up::up::up::up:

csallis
11-24-2007, 09:56
Fantastic work techknow thanks :)

flubber
11-24-2007, 11:19
Works great under TF2 as well, thx Technow.

Edit : 0.2 works great also and it's great with the colors rings, thx for the update.

csallis
11-25-2007, 13:30
Oh techknow just seen you are making the sm_firebomb, freezebomb ect as a pack, that will be really appreciated any ideas how long this will take before its out as mani is driving me nuts. Thanks :)

TechKnow
11-25-2007, 15:14
The bomb pack is next after sm_chicken. And since I do not have a team of harvard n' yale top programmers and I havent had any programming school myself and I am the only one, it depends how long it takes me to figure out the code. But look on the bright side, I have already made a production quota of 5 products with multiple updates in less than a few weeks. and i dont know of a harvard n' yale top programmers team that can do that. Moreover, Keep your pants on but hold on to your hat.

(Arrogant Bastard aint I?)

TechKnow

Tekniqal
11-25-2007, 15:20
does this get inserted into the sm_admin menu?

TechKnow
11-25-2007, 15:29
That will depend on pRED*. He is slow and far inbetween on the messages and info but he is one of my favorate scripters of all time. He is the one doing the merge of super menu to the regular menu and I have asked him to include my plugins and have had no reply from him, but in the meantime I will always include a smsuper.ini to support my plugins.

TechKnow

P.S. Update on sm_chicken...
The chicken models are done, they are a white chicken with blue feathers for CT and red feathers for T.

pRED*
11-25-2007, 18:43
by 'include your plugins' do you mean add your plugins to the provided example smsuper.ini?

Because I'd rather keep the example (and thats all its supposed to be.) as simple as possible. The idea is for people to write their own smsuper.ini to suit them individually. Otherwise I would have just hardcoded a menu for super commands and been done with it.

If you really want your plugins to appear in the main sourcemod menu you can either:

a) Code them into the menu yourself (just like the base plugins do)
b) Provide a smsuper.ini with your code added (like you currently do)
c) Provide a example section for people to copy and paste into their own smsuper.ini (the method I had in mind while designing super menu)

MoggieX
11-25-2007, 19:47
Tested and works under linux :-)

Here's a sceeny of it in action:

http://afterbuy.co.uk/media/de_dust2_unlimited0005.jpg

TechKnow
11-25-2007, 20:12
I think it would be a great addition to sourcemod base, now that I have repaird the timer error with version 0.3 , what I was really hoping is that it be able to be included in the sm_admin menu. BTW i thought you were dumping super menu and moving super commands to sm_admin menu and i didnt want to be left out.

TechKnow

tkaway69
11-25-2007, 22:28
Getting this error from beacon.
L 11/25/2007 - 21:01:34: SourceMod error session started
L 11/25/2007 - 21:01:34: Info (map "cs_office") (file "errors_20071125.log")
L 11/25/2007 - 21:01:34: Invalid timer handle b2fe0147 (error 1) on plugin beacon.smx during timer end

Using...
sourcemod_version "1.0.0.1725"
sm_beacon_version "0.1Beta"
sm_supermenu_version "0.42"
sm_supercmds_version "0.52"

Beacon Physically seems to be working fine just getting this error. Lots of times by the way. Like a log page full. One thing I dont understand. It says you added blue and ct rings at update 0.2. We have Blue and red beacons but it says I am using 0.1 beta?

[EDIT]
Fixed by downloading source. seems you have different versions in your download area.

pRED*
11-26-2007, 00:59
I think it would be a great addition to sourcemod base, now that I have repaird the timer error with version 0.3 , what I was really hoping is that it be able to be included in the sm_admin menu. BTW i thought you were dumping super menu and moving super commands to sm_admin menu and i didnt want to be left out.

TechKnow

I think you have misunderstood what the sm_admin menu and/or super menu do.

The sm_admin admin menu (part of the core package) has no list of items. It is up to plugins to add their own commands. Most of the core plugins now have code to add their respective commands to it and you will notice that if you disable one of the core plugins, all menu items related to it will no longer exist. You can have a look through the core plugins if you want examples of how to add this functionality to your plugins.

The downside of this is it offers very little configuration options for the server operator unless the coder specifically adds options.

The idea of super menu is it adds commands to the main menu as if it was done by the plugin but since it is entirely controlled by the text file smsuper.ini any and every minor detail can be changed to the server ops liking.

TechKnow
11-26-2007, 02:11
I have looked at the code for basefuncommands and adminmenu and it looks totally customizable, I could add them but I was more thinking is, it should be part of the core that when people install sourcemod. But all in all it is already wonderful that I can share my plugins with other sourcemod users. So I'm takin what ur givin because I enjoy being part in this wonderful world of sourcemod. Thank you for your time pRED*, I enjoy your work.

TechKnow

BTW.. SM_CHICKEN Is about 80% done and im looking at 24 to 48 hours untill versin 0.1 is released.

sessus
11-26-2007, 04:28
Just a little confused now: does this plugin integrate into the SM Admin menu or is this just a planned function?

Manni
11-26-2007, 09:05
I'm confused, too. One guy say this, one guy says that.

My Question is, is/are anyone of you working on a menu/file that will do things like the super commands e.g. sm_noclip, speed, kick, ban, etc...
into the MAIN source menu? I am confused of using two commands (2 binds) like sm_admin and sm_super to use different menus with different features. Can it not just be like MANI, all in one menu??

TechKnow
11-26-2007, 11:19
I thought pRED* was dumping super menu and moving super commands to sm_admin menu and i didnt want to be left out. I'm Guessing NOW he dont want to put any 3erd party plugins into the core of the sm_admin menu. And I was hopeing that all plugins get handeld with the sm_admin menu only.

But now I think we should dump sm_admin menu and let supermenu do it all and then rename supermenu to sm_admin. It is just too much work to update the sm_menu and it is a snap with supermenu!

I have only been using supermenu for everything for over 110 days, the only thing sm_menu is good for is repeat slap... thats it, and its not worth it, thats what spank 8X is for. My sm_menu plugin has always been in my DISABLED folder. Moreover it is bland, plain and borrrring.

TechKnow

pRED*
11-26-2007, 18:34
Nonononono.

I'm not adding *any* 3rd party plugins to the 'core' menu. It's up to plugins to add themselves. Thats how the core menu works.

What I am doing is porting sm_super_menu to add items to the core menu instead of sm_super menu.

TechKnow
11-26-2007, 18:55
a) I don't get it.

b) Isn't your super commands 3erd party?

c) Is the super commands going to show in the sm_admin?

d) Is everything in the super menu going to show up in sm_admin menu?

e) Is the items inserted in the super menu going to show up in sm_admin?

f) Are we being forced to use 2 menus if we want to use super menu for 3erd party plugins and if we want to use your super commands?

g) MORE QUESTIONS LATER....

TechKnow

pRED*
11-26-2007, 19:07
a) Gutted.

b) Yes, it is.

c) Only if you add them using super menu.

d) Yes

e) Same as d)? so yes.

f) No sm_super doesn't exist any more. Only sm_admin will be used

g) I can't wait... In the mean time read the super menu thread and see if you can figure it out. I've uploaded a test release of the new super menu

TechKnow
11-26-2007, 19:23
NOW THAT's CLARIFIED!!!

Good Job pRED* That is better than what I expected.

Thank You.

TechKnow

TechKnow
11-27-2007, 00:27
The Chickens Are GONE!!!

sm_Chicken
TechKnow

bl4nk
11-27-2007, 02:05
Why don't you just use the regular, white model and put a red/blue colored glow around the chicken?

TechKnow
11-27-2007, 03:01
The glow command makes things slightly transparent, and plus its just more code to write and isn't sourcemod aimed at optimizing? They look better this way.

TechKnow

bl4nk
11-27-2007, 04:06
Glow shouldn't make things transparent as long as their alpha is set to 255 (or is it 0?). But as for looking better, I honestly think that it looks kind of ugly. :-/

Manni
11-27-2007, 14:28
Will this work with other mods too? like DOD(S), HL2DM ?

TechKnow
11-27-2007, 17:42
It might work in other mods but it will for sure for CS:S, then we can see what we can do for other mods after its out.

TechKnow

Manni
11-29-2007, 08:23
Ok thanks for info. :)
( i meant the chicken, not the beacon. Beacon will probably work in hl2dm, saw it already there.)

TechKnow
11-29-2007, 13:55
No the chicken will only work with CS:S because the default models are the CS:S ones, if someone buys me TF2 i can make it work for that so i can get its stock models, and even mabe use its models as custom models for CS:S.

TechKnow

sessus
11-30-2007, 04:58
TechKnow: are you planning to add sm_beacon to the sm_admin menu?

TechKnow
11-30-2007, 05:07
I dont use sm_admin i use super menu sm_super, pRED* is adding the super menu to it now i tried the beta and so far I relly dont like it, I even remove the .smx cuz i dont use them, he is making it way tooooo hard to add commands and too complicated. use the updated super menu and super commands i updated and use my menu from my server but u may not have all the same plugins so u might wanna modify it some.

TechKnow

sessus
11-30-2007, 12:35
oh ok. Any chance you would be able to implement it into sm_admin? Because this is the main admin interface SM is using.

bl4nk
11-30-2007, 13:30
I think pRED is going to remake his Super Menu to use the admin menu instead of a standalone menu.

TFN|Nick
11-30-2007, 15:02
Which i think is the right approach... the last thing any admin wants is about 5 billion menus to operate commands! I know i don't...

Keeping sm_super as a backup wouldn't hurt though :D

Tekniqal
11-30-2007, 15:14
Pred already has made it work into sm_admin use his svn version. You can create new categories in the sm_admin and add new items to existing sm_admin categories. It works perfect.

However I still feel that all authors should always put their menus into sm_admin and not rely on administrators to run an entire separate plugin (super menu). The only reason why I wouldnt want it auto added is maybe because I want to put it in a special category. Everything will be simpler once SM implements the features of super menu into the core.

TechKnow
11-30-2007, 15:32
sm_admin is bad, it sux. Its too hard to add or custimize.I DON'T like it or the way it works, it needs to be DUMPED. and just use super menu and re name it sm admin. Here I did it in 2 seconds, here is the new sm_admin delete your old one use this one. I am. it is the super menu to respond to sm_admin command , use the smsuper.ini to add commands.. DONE!

bl4nk
11-30-2007, 23:40
TechKnow: He already integrated his plugin with the default admin menu. You use the smsuper.ini the same way (with a few slight modifications), and it's added to the main menu.

TechKnow
12-01-2007, 04:24
Yes I did do that, got it to work perfectly, HOWEVER still NO I still dislike how it works, it blocks the common server owners having the abillity to do modification to the menu without the help and permission from god. And i dont like how it makes the commands listed in A-Z order, I put it in the order i want and it f***s it up. I vote no for this 0.5 menu, wrong direction. I do have to bow down on the programming ability of pRED*, he is the master, and has done a AMAZING job. lets not jump the gun and make this the default sm_menu.

TechKnow

pRED*
12-01-2007, 07:31
Wrong.

try adminmenu_sorting.txt. Lets you organise everything as you wish.

You can continue to use the older version of super menu if you wish but I will no longer be supporting it.

Manni
12-01-2007, 16:36
Wrong.

try adminmenu_sorting.txt. Lets you organise everything as you wish.

You can continue to use the older version of super menu if you wish but I will no longer be supporting it.

Hi pRED*,

i tried to sort it with adminmenu_sorting.txt
It don't work. maybe i do something wrong, or something isn't correct working.

I want the sorting like this, that e.g. Choose Map, Set Nextmap and Map Extend are one below the other.
But it don't work. Do i something wrong?
I need to put the commands like this below, (from the super_commands) after "items" right?

"ServerCommands"
{
"item" "sm_map"
"item" "sm_nextmap"
"item" "sm_extend"
"item" "sm_admin_sounds"
"item" "sm_execcfg"
"item" "sm_reloadadmins"
}

hmhmh

pRED*
12-01-2007, 17:40
Not the actual command, use the names of the items/categories from your smsuper.ini

TechKnow
12-01-2007, 18:55
So what u can sort the main list, BFD. the commands inside then get placed in A-Z order and I DONT F*****G want it that way. I want to put the items in each cat in the order I WANT. Otherwize it is of no use to me. There are commands that need to be together that have diff names, then the ones I use most on top. IT IS CALLD "functionality". Without that ability it has very poor to no functionality.

TechKnow

pRED*
12-01-2007, 20:35
Why can't you sort the items too? Definitely could last time I checked.

TechKnow
12-01-2007, 21:16
Then.. Pry tell how do you sort the items in the sub cat.... EXACTLY.

TechKnow

[EDIT]
as I thought... It can not be done.
conclusion....no functionality.

[EDIT2]

I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT APPROVE an admin menu that the sub cat can not be sorted.
pRED* Fix this oversite and I will reassess for my possible aproval.
sm_menu 0.5 status: Approval Denied.

TechKnow

PrefeX
12-02-2007, 11:26
Why can't you sort the items too? Definitely could last time I checked.works for me, so you must do something wrong TechKnow

Tekniqal
12-02-2007, 12:47
WOW, have some respect, it works for sorting.

/**
* The default sorting is designed to look familiar to Mani's admin menu.
* You may re-order items here for your own menu. Any items not explicitly
* sorted will be sorted by their final translated phrases for each given client.
*/

"Menu"
{
"PlayerCommands"
{
"item" "sm_slay"
"item" "sm_slap"
"item" "sm_kick"
"item" "sm_ban"
"item" "sm_gag"
"item" "sm_burn"
}
"Player Commands II"
{
}

"ServerCommands"
{
"item" "sm_map"
"item" "Extend Map"
"item" "sm_execcfg"
"item" "sm_reloadadmins"
}

"Server Cvars"
{
}

"VotingCommands"
{
"item" "sm_cancelvote"
"item" "sm_votemap"
"item" "sm_votekick"
"item" "sm_voteban"
}

"Team Management"
{
}
}

pRED*
12-02-2007, 15:22
I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT APPROVE an admin menu that the sub cat can not be sorted.
pRED* Fix this oversite and I will reassess for my possible aproval.
sm_menu 0.5 status: Approval Denied.

You sir, are my idol.

It's 'oversight' by the way. Sight as in looking, you know 'over looked' rather than 'site' as in a location... Ah never mind.

Feel free to move super menu into unapproved plugins since it doesn't meet your personal requirements.

Bloodlvst
12-02-2007, 22:25
LOL PRED! :lol:

Seriously TechKnow, have some respect, these guys are the most helpful and generous people I've met on a message board period. Pred's menu kicks ass and took a lot of work, AND it does exactly what you think it doesn't.

You don't really expect to get approved plugins with this attitude do you?

Approval Denied.

TechKnow
12-02-2007, 22:52
Just exercizing MY opinion, I also have NEVER forgotten that they ARE the masters as I had stated. Maybe im upset that my beacon, 1v1, and CHICKEN plugins have NOT been approved. They work FINE, no memory leaks crashes and have been properly updated and kept up on it's thread for support and any help I could give. I made those plugins because they should have been made LONG ago or even made correctly. The plugins as I have made are the things people useing mani want from sourcemod so they may DUMP Mani. Without at least same or close to the same commands and features Sourcemod can not compeet. My faith in Sourcemod has never waverd, It IS the ultimit admin plugin and IS the future. Why sacrifice Sourcemods Future with people who are a stick in the mud and can't have an open mind on its development, that in itself is the whole bases that sourcemod is built on,..... BEING DIFFERNT and proud of it, and BETTER and more efficent!!! I say be OPEN MINDED because thats how sourcemod got started and without that, Sourcemod WILL DIE!!

TechKnow
(A damn good Scripter)

sessus
12-03-2007, 06:08
TechKnow:

Personally, I do not much care about the chicken-mod, but I was thinking of implementing sm_beacon. After you said, however, that you are not planning to implement it into the sm_admin, i must say, I do not care much about sm_beacon anymore either. I think most people that use SM do not want redundant functionality and overly dependent plugins. Maybe that is why your plugins have not been approved yet!?

TFN|Nick
12-04-2007, 07:31
Sorry... let myself slip there. The thing is that, like sessus has said, your plugin is now dependent on sm_super_menu, which is bad because now server admins using sm_admin must either program it into sm_admin themselves or move to super_menu... and if sm_admin is already configured how they like, its not going to happen.

For the half hour it would take to do, is it not worth it? It'll add better functionality to sm_admin and allow users who want to use either super menu or admin to use your plugin. Win Win.

I found the link here for how to put it on: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Admin_Menu_%28SourceMod_Scripting%29

I have tested the plugin and it works great, but as i have said, there is no support for the sm_admin which i use so i can't really do much with it atm, and it is not worth switching to super_menu if that is going to sm_admin.

Oh well, thats just my thoughts on it. Would be nice to be able to use it on our server and pester all those n00bs :P

TechKnow
12-04-2007, 16:38
One of my posts that explained that I am a 3erd party plugin scripter as most scripters here was deleted. I do not have access or the authortity to add any plugins to the core of Sourcemod or its menu. I would have been so honored if my sm_beacon was added as part of the core. And by what I can tell, you CAN add any including my sm_beacon plugin to sm_admin menu yourself. If you need help on this please ask pRED* to walk you thru it step by step as i feel he will have to do to many others. He has helped one already. I do feel that sm_beacon should have been added to the Sourcemod core because it works in ALL source multiplayer games and on both windows and linux platforms. I would have added sm_beacon to sm_admin if I had the access and authority. So please direct all comments of sm_beacon not added to the menu or how to add it yourself to pRED*. He is the one that made the menus and decided not to add it.

TechKnow

Tekniqal
12-04-2007, 16:53
One of my posts that explained that I am a 3erd party plugin scripter as most scripters here was deleted. I do not have access or the authortity to add any plugins to the core of Sourcemod or its menu. I would have been so honored if my sm_beacon was added as part of the core. And by what I can tell, you CAN add any including my sm_beacon plugin to sm_admin menu yourself. If you need help on this please ask pRED* to walk you thru it step by step as i feel he will have to do to many others. He has helped one already. I do feel that sm_beacon should have been added to the Sourcemod core because it works in ALL source multiplayer games and on both windows and linux platforms. I would have added sm_beacon to sm_admin if I had the access and authority. So please direct all comments of sm_beacon not added to the menu or how to add it yourself to pRED*. He is the one that made the menus and decided not to add it.

TechKnow

Dude you dont get it...
You dont need any authority to add items to the sm_admin menu. Just code it in your plugin. SM is designed to let authors add whatever they want to menu. You dont have to get help from pred, just code it in.

sessus
12-04-2007, 19:12
Dude you dont get it...
You dont need any authority to add items to the sm_admin menu. Just code it in your plugin. SM is designed to let authors add whatever they want to menu. You dont have to get help from pred, just code it in.

I second that. In addition, the only menu implementation Pred should 'authorise' is anything that has to do with his super_menu, which in turn is rather unnecessary if you only plan to add the beacon function to the menu.

TechKnow
12-04-2007, 22:02
Then there needs to be a section on what to ADD to your scripting plugin to make it show up in sm_admin. Please Direct me to this and I will add it to sm_beacon.

TechKnow

Bloodlvst
12-05-2007, 00:18
Read the wiki? Use the search button? Et cetera, et cetera???

TechKnow
12-05-2007, 01:23
If it is so simple and it is there please make me look stupid and show me.

TechKnow

pRED*
12-05-2007, 02:01
How about the link Nick posted on the top of this page?

TechKnow
12-05-2007, 04:20
Well that looks like something to do with the menu but I am too stupid to figure it out.. I do not understand how it works so i can't do it, I'm too stupid, I have had no school or training on this. If anyone wants they can do the modifications and post the new plugin as the admin menu beacon because I can not do it because it is too complicated for me, I'm stupid.

TechKnow

Bloodlvst
12-05-2007, 09:52
No one here has had school or traning. You learn as you go.

Best way to find out is to find a plugin that adds to the menu and look at its code. You'll be sure to find it in there.

Roach
12-09-2007, 02:24
Ok...thats it...

Enough is enough.

Looking at this code you have basically attempted to pass off 90% copypasta past the approvers at this forum and say that its "Fresh" and "New" and "Special." Guess what cupcake, it ain't. Anybody can do that. It doesn't matter if it was included in Mani, it doesn't matter if YOU think its important, it matters if the COMMUNITY thinks its important enough to be released as a plugin.

See this in the news thread? http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=62123

See how it says "What do you want to see next?" See how they are all important major features? Wanna code something important Oh self-appointed "Damn good scripter." Then get on one of those points. Otherwise. Shut the fuck up about a plugin that you basically didn't write not getting approved.

Also, for the love of god, PLEASE stop thinking that SM is this holy grail that everyone will be migrating towards once it is finished. Users will still have choice between other admin-management mods. AMXx isnt the only choice in HL1, people still use AMX and Adminmod. You seem to get off on the fact that sourcemod exists to be an admin-management mod. Please, seek professional counciling. Thats a little disturbing.

FYI as well, most of us learned how to code on our own. We werent suddenly enlightened by the grace of some heavenly deity who swooped down and enlightened us with some amazing power of scripting, we read about how shit works, looked at other plugins, EMULATED (not copy+pasted them) them, and then started coding SMALL plugins. This gave way to larger and larger plugins. Stop bitching. Sit down, problem solve, ask for advice, and keep at it.

Also, your belittling of the admin/programming team in your other posts is most uncalled for, and will most likely result in a ban if it continues. They have put countless hours and thousands upon thousands of lines of code in this project, and they don't need your whining in this because you don't like a menu decision that the ENTIRE TEAM has made, that will ultimately be better for the entire SM package as a whole.

Judging from your content in your other posts, I do believe that you need to gb2/hugbox/ and quit complaining about things that you

1) Have no power over (and most likely never will)
2) Need to quit worrying over
3) Need to just stop complaining about
4) Need to read the documentation about
and
5) Need to just grow the fuck up about.

That being said, and as stated earlier, continuous belittling of the dev team of SM, or any other member of the AlliedModders forums for that matter, will result in an immediate ban. I suggest you read the rules about submitting plugins, as well as the global forum rules as well before you continue to post here.

Hip hip, cheerio!

BAILOPAN
12-09-2007, 12:36
I have no idea what happened here but I think Roach's sentiments are correct. We (the SourceMod Development Team) have worked hard to make our API as flexible and configurable as possible. We try very hard to get things right on the first try, because otherwise, we are stuck supporting something that's not sufficient. Something as simple as the admin menu, in fact, has tons of considerations (translations, configuration, sorting, caching, categorization, positioning, extending, load orders).

If you have a legitimate concern about the API we've developed, we've always been extremely willing to discuss it in detail. Hang out in IRC, post a thread, file a bug report. We'll work with you to see what, if anything, needs to be addressed, and help you discover bugs in your implementations. However, swearing and insulting us, the developers, is not appropriate.

The flaming on this topic stops here. This should be a friendly community.

csallis
12-09-2007, 19:58
Techknow any news on the other features you where working on, the firebomb, freezebomb, and timebomb?

Looking forward to seeing these working along side this beacon plugin :)

pRED*
12-10-2007, 00:42
The author of this plugin has been permanently banned from these forums.

This plugin will almost certainly be moved to unapproved as it is no longer supported. If anyone wishes to take over maintaining this plugin, they can, but it will require a bit of work to bring it up to approval standard.

Large portions of the code are uncredited direct copies from other plugins (at a quick glance, i'd say 90% ish).

It also uses deprecated natives (wrapped into a special function I wrote specifically for super command to reduce code size - a terrible option to use for a single command) which need to be updated.

csallis
12-10-2007, 08:19
Oh ok thanks pred I will take it off the server. I wish I knew how to code this stuff then I would try and rewrite it but I have no idea I have tried to write a plugin and it didnt work.

Damn that sets me back again I was so close to getting all the functions I needed :(

tkaway69
12-10-2007, 08:52
Yep... It is only starting to get interesting.

Roach
12-10-2007, 10:37
Oh ok thanks pred I will take it off the server. I wish I knew how to code this stuff then I would try and rewrite it but I have no idea I have tried to write a plugin and it didnt work.

Damn that sets me back again I was so close to getting all the functions I needed :(

It doesn't mean you cant use it csallis. If the plugin works for you by all means use it. There are a few AMXx plugins that are in unapproved that people still use all the time.

All it means is that it might not be updated, so if anything goes wrong with it in future updates or anything, there might not be any future support behind it. Thats all. You are more than welcome to use this plugin.

Someone will most likely come along and tweak this plugin as needed. Who knows, maybe I can con pRED into taking some time off and doing it for some bacon or something.

csallis
12-10-2007, 10:47
It doesn't mean you cant use it csallis. If the plugin works for you by all means use it. There are a few AMXx plugins that are in unapproved that people still use all the time.

All it means is that it might not be updated, so if anything goes wrong with it in future updates or anything, there might not be any future support behind it. Thats all. You are more than welcome to use this plugin.

Someone will most likely come along and tweak this plugin as needed. Who knows, maybe I can con pRED into taking some time off and doing it for some bacon or something.

Ok thanks will use it for now then until a new tweaked version comes out, I do have mani installed and mostly use that at the moment until I sort a couple of bugs out with some of the plugins and get some sort of timebomb, firebomb, and freezebomb as my server also runs wcs and I have written races using these mani things that are to popular to lose.

As soon as a sourcemod plugin comes out for these things I think thats everything I need to completely switch.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 00:04
I use this plugin and it works like a charm. And so dose the knife fight one. I was wondeing what happend to the chicken plugin? The players on my server love being chickens and we were all looking forward to the update with the new models. Is there a place where we can download these models?

pRED*
12-11-2007, 00:39
The chicken thread was permanently deleted.

The author changed the main picture in the thread (hosted on his site) to something slightly less appropriate (to say the least).

If anyone still has a copy of the sourcecode, they could make it available (through the scripting or maybe suggestions forums) and try find a coder willing to take over maintaining this project.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 00:54
The author of these plugins was giving us what we were looking for as me csallis tkaway69 and i am guessing others. he was making a timebomb plugin, who is going to make that now? all the plugins he made is what i wanted. anyone else want theses type of optional plugins?

tkaway69
12-11-2007, 01:48
Yes it is a shame. Someone will take these over as they are a part of the community. I mean explain to me how a "JetPack Mod" makes it as an approved plugin, and Chicken and Beacon do not. The only thing I see that has happened here is someones toes were stepped on. Pitty the stepper could not Smooth things over the right way. Oh well.. Life goes on, but the way parts of the Community Views "Sourcemod" have been forever changed.

pRED*
12-11-2007, 02:04
Re-read Roach's post regarding possible reasons these plugins still hadn't been approved. And then add the fact that ferret is the only active plugin approver at the moment.

If they had been thoroughly reviewed and failed the approval process, they would be in 'unapproved/old plugins' not this section.

You'll have to wait and see for the future of these plugins but as long as they don't have a maintainer I don't like their chances.

Edit: I'm going away for a week tomorrow but when I get back I'll see if I can't add a few of these commands into Super Commands. Working on a pretty major update at the moment.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 05:33
So let me get this strait... you wouldnt approve his plugins, make fun of his plugins and the way they were scripted and the errors in them came from approved plugin of pred that he copied from, then ban him then steal his plugins to add to your own? something in denmark dont smell right.

ferret
12-11-2007, 09:29
pRed doesn't have the ability to approve plugins. A good observer would note that no plugins have been approved lately as I finish up my last weeks of school before graduation. I have no comment on the rest of the thread at this time.

Zenith77
12-11-2007, 10:04
Yes it is a shame. Someone will take these over as they are a part of the community. I mean explain to me how a "JetPack Mod" makes it as an approved plugin, and Chicken and Beacon do not. The only thing I see that has happened here is someones toes were stepped on. Pitty the stepper could not Smooth things over the right way. Oh well.. Life goes on, but the way parts of the Community Views "Sourcemod" have been forever changed.

Because it doesn't take much coding AFAIK (at least in AMXX it wasn't this way), to change a model and send a sever message to the client. As opposed to creating/scripting an entire new object with calculations and such.

And no one's toes were stepped on. If you stick your foot in front of a (ban) hammer that's your fault. Insulting the Dev Team, and acting all high and mighty is not the best thing to do when trying to get a plugin approved.

TFN|Nick
12-11-2007, 10:14
So let me get this strait... you wouldnt approve his plugins, make fun of his plugins and the way they were scripted and the errors in them came from approved plugin of pred that he copied from, then ban him then steal his plugins to add to your own? something in denmark dont smell right.

Not really... as has been said in earlier posts he has copied big sections of code from other people without crediting, wouldn't support a main feature of sourcemod, slandered the sourcemod admin menu (and in certain other posts the sourcemod community and team) and that is certainly a contributing factor as to why the plugin hasn't been approved.

No one actually made fun of his plugins... in fact all through this thread people have been asking about them. No one doubts that they where the right functions and are needed, however he went about it the entirely wrong way; he flamed at me at least twice- once when i was trying to help him troubleshoot and the other for suggesting that he add this to sm_admin. Its not so much he trode on peoples feet, more like Godzilla sized steps on many ;)

There will no doubt be like mind users/developers who see that these are needed functions and start to develop them...

ferret
12-11-2007, 10:22
The only contributing factor to his plugin not being approved is my severe shortage of time during graduation finals. He chose to imply other reasons.

However, based on other posts, my first response to reading his code would probably be to post appropriate credit. There's nothing wrong with doing some copying and adding to or fixing problems. The issue is when credit is lacking.

This is moot, as the author has been banned for legitment reasons unrelated to his code, it's credits or lack thereof, or anything directly related to scripting.

tkaway69
12-11-2007, 10:23
@ Zenith.
So you are saying the "JetPack" was a newly created Plugin? Please... It has been around for ages. Even "EventScripts" had a plugin for this.Which the Sourcemod Dev took no haste in bashing in thier attempts to get Sourcemod noticed. Which was also a bad idea. We all make mistakes. TechKnow made his. All you hear around here is how you can modify anyones Plugin for your own use and share it amoungst the community. You must credit the authors you got the code from. That is where the toe stepping comes in. As I said " It is a pitty the stepper could not smooth things over the right way.

[Edit]
Thank you "Ferret".

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 10:34
By my research in your forums pred said this about his download..

"Other than that a useful plugin with sources credited. Code looks all fine so I
guess I'll approve it. (Just cos I can..)"

and in every plugin he gave credit to the other scripters so if he was banned for not giving credit it was a bad ban.

"Beacon
- by TechKnow -With help from pRED* & dalto's (SuperCommands&1v1)"

"1v1 aka Knife Fight
1v1 1.0 Revised to work (Without weapons.inc)
by dalto & TechKnow"

"bleed
by TechKnow & Help from Matte's Regeneration"

"Downloads
- by pRED* & TechKnow"

"have made an update for super commands and super menu version 0.52
by pRED* & bl4nk & ferret & TechKnow"

ferret
12-11-2007, 10:35
I'm unsure what bearing a SourcePawn plugin for Jetpack, that was approved months ago, has on this discussion. In the context of SourceMod programming, it was new.

What was made in Eventscripts or in Beetlesmod, or in Mani, etc, has no bearing on what's written for SourceMod in SourcePawn and posted to this site. While the idea may not be new, the code is. If we want to argue about ideas being new, we stole half of it from some obscure Quake modification, I'm sure. Maybe even a Doom modification.

I'll use my own TeamBets plugin as an example. New idea? No. It's explicitly stated that it is meant to replace and behave like Mani's. The code however is 100% mine with nothing "copied from Mani", which would be impossible regardless.

Now, if someone posts TeamBets v2.0 and doesn't mention me, yet it's obvious that 70% of the code is from my plugin? There's an issue there.

I have no comment on the ES bashing. I wasn't involved in it and disapprove of how the original benchmark was posted to the STEAM Powered forums. That posting, which set everything off as far as I could tell, was not done by a SourceMod dev.

ferret
12-11-2007, 10:40
This is moot, as the author has been banned for legitment reasons unrelated to his code, it's credits or lack thereof, or anything directly related to scripting.

Just stating this one more time. His ban is due to extremely insulting posts, deregatory statements, and posting fetish porn to the forums. I don't care how frustrated he was over the menu API or not having his plugins approved yet, these are unacceptable actions.

Manni
12-11-2007, 10:42
I think a ban for maybe 1 Week is ok. Then he can think, of that, what he done wrong. But permanently ban? I don't know. Maybe i missed the big reason for that!

regards
Manni

p.s.: OH, i see now the post above from ferret, just 1: xx minute ago.
Ok, that's something else entirely!

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 10:50
By what pred said is he just changed a file that was a pic on his chicken mod AFTER he was banned to a un likeable picture, not porn.

-e
pred said "The chicken thread was permanently deleted.
The author changed the main picture in the thread (hosted on his site) to something slightly less appropriate (to say the least)."

-e

all of his plugins are credited

and pred said
"Other than that a useful plugin with sources credited. Code looks all fine so I
guess I'll approve it. (Just cos I can..)"

then later said.
"Large portions of the code are uncredited direct copies from other plugins (at a quick glance, i'd say 90% ish)."

ferret
12-11-2007, 11:02
The image was from goatse, if you want the specifics. If you consider that a "likeable" or appropriate picture, well. At the very least, such actions show a malicious intent towards the site and it's users, and what could or may have been a temporary ban would certainly be extended.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 11:08
i said "to a un likeable picture, not porn."

-e
and that was after he was banned.

ferret
12-11-2007, 11:11
I'm not quite sure I'm following you or what point you're trying to make. pRED didn't give specifics on the image, and I did. Nothing more.

Roach's involvement occured due to complaints about the author's posts and may have made an assumption. I don't speak for him. The ban ultimately had nothing to do with credited or uncredited code. I can say that a fifth time if necessary.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 11:15
well i just liked his plugins, and im sure alot of others did as well, a major loss.

Bloodlvst
12-11-2007, 11:15
Please guys, let's not derail this thread by arguing about goats and porn:P (j/k). But seriously, let's try to get back on track.

ferret
12-11-2007, 11:17
Indeed, it's a pity that highly desired plugins like this will be delayed. Perhaps after I graduate I'll work on them, as I'm sure others will as well.

TFN|Nick
12-11-2007, 11:21
edit: ferret/blood beat me too it!

ferret
12-11-2007, 11:23
If anyone has the chicken mod script, I will consider doing basic support for it until someone else wants to take it up. Unfortunately the entire thread was deleted.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 11:27
well i dont think he has given up scripting anyway, i just was given a link and what kind of ethics would you show by working on his plugins when he already is... his plugin site (http://sourcemodplugin.14.forumer.com/)

ferret
12-11-2007, 11:29
Good for him, saves me the effort then. Because to be honest, I don't WANT to work on them.

Bloodlvst
12-11-2007, 11:31
Well considering it's GPL, it's free re-distribute provided he is given credit. It's not our fault he can't post here. Doesn't mean someone else can't post them here and give him credit.

Zenith77
12-11-2007, 11:34
@ Zenith.
So you are saying the "JetPack" was a newly created Plugin? Please... It has been around for ages. Even "EventScripts" had a plugin for this.Which the Sourcemod Dev took no haste in bashing in thier attempts to get Sourcemod noticed. Which was also a bad idea. We all make mistakes. TechKnow made his. All you hear around here is how you can modify anyones Plugin for your own use and share it amoungst the community. You must credit the authors you got the code from. That is where the toe stepping comes in. As I said " It is a pitty the stepper could not smooth things over the right way.

[Edit]
Thank you "Ferret".

Um, no that's not even what I'm saying. But, my last statement to your response which had been misunderstood by me. You can just ignore it, apologzies.

I had thought you were referring to the complexity of the plugins, not credit/etc.

ferret
12-11-2007, 12:00
I also just wanted to clearify that we are aware that Imperial Kosack is TechKnow.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 12:02
lol how do you figure that lol

-e

i like this guy ferret he is funny

Zenith77
12-11-2007, 12:03
I also just wanted to clearify that we are aware that Imperial Kosack is TechKnow.

All makes sense now.

ferret
12-11-2007, 12:05
Magic. Plenty of posted clues, but there's also the fact that the forums log all traffic, IPs, etc.

Imperial Kosack
12-11-2007, 12:07
i think it only logs ip if it is enabled and if you have access.

ferret
12-11-2007, 12:09
Perhaps you're confused. I'm not someone making a random guess. IPs are always tracked in vBulletin, it can't be disabled. And by virtue of being a SourceMod developer and moderator, I do have such access.

Roach
12-11-2007, 14:50
Ok then. I see that was resolved before I even had to do an IP lookup. That was kinda obvious from a mile away.

Anywho, I would like to make a suggestion for both the Chicken AND the Beacon plugins.

Since we have large portions of code that are uncredited in the plugin itself (and this is where most of the issue lies with me at least. Its one thing to post credit in a post, its quite another to actually post it within the original .sp file) I would like to make a motion to make this a community plugin.

Lemme explain. Nobody really "takes over" the plugin. No one person is responsible for the upkeep of the plugin. The COMMUNITY is responsible. Its an odd twist, but since we have multiple influences of code interjected throughout the plugin from multiple people, and personally I really don't feel like digging through and figuring out who exactly did what portion, I believe that this plugin should be labeled

Author: Sourcemod Community

This way, nobody has their panties in a twist as to who gets credit for what. EVERYBODY gets credit for it. Everybody has free reign to come in and tweak, bug-fix, make improvements, etc etc. The community ratifies what they think is right.

Its a radical idea, but its something that might not be a bad idea in this case, since we seem to be in a holding pattern as to who owns what in this plugin, and who really owns the true idea here.

Thoughts on this? I would be more than welcome to support this (I am biased), and I am kinda working on modifying this plugin a bit to use a little more streamlined @ commands if possible, once finals are done hopefully I can push it out the door and make it look a little prettier.

Any and ALL feedback is welcome and appreciated on this point.

Bloodlvst
12-11-2007, 14:52
Seems sensible. I'm all for it.

+1

ferret
12-11-2007, 15:04
I've considered in the past getting together a group of developers and forming a secondary Dev team that worked on a range of third-party or "extra" plugins. By sharing an SVN, they could all work on the plugins, providing a solid package that compliments the base plugins of SourceMod.

I haven't had time to pursue it though.

tkaway69
12-11-2007, 16:02
One last question on this topic before I give it a rest. It is not that i do not like the idea made by Roach. It just seems it will only complicate things for the common user such as myself. I already see Problems in the future trying to use Techknow's work with other people making "Beacon" and "Chicken" plugins. Am I correct in seeing these future problems? If so are we to just dump "Techknow" and his attempts at making plugins for Sourcemod. I do however like Ferret's idea, as long as the end result is one plugin for all to use.

TFN|Nick
12-11-2007, 16:19
I couldn't really see roach's plan being a problem... all plugins developed in sourcemod are issued via GPL and so anyone can edit the code. This would simply mean that instead of individual plugin developers who may or may not have been credited are given credit status anyway. No individuals get credit over anyone else and so no-one can complain and GPL isn't violated.

As a community project people can also submit any mods they have made to the plugin and be included in that banner of developers. Also means there is a better chance of people maintaining the plugin rather than developing there own and leaving this one to die.

+1 for ferrets idea also.

Nick

Roach
12-11-2007, 16:25
One last question on this topic before I give it a rest. It is not that i do not like the idea made by Roach. It just seems it will only complicate things for the common user such as myself. I already see Problems in the future trying to use Techknow's work with other people making "Beacon" and "Chicken" plugins. Am I correct in seeing these future problems? If so are we to just dump "Techknow" and his attempts at making plugins for Sourcemod. I do however like Ferret's idea, as long as the end result is one plugin for all to use.

Not at all..there wouldnt be any issues at all.

All you would end up doing would be to give credit to the SM Community for some of the code, instead of one specific user.

In all honesty, this is stemming from a specific PM I received from TechKnow. (Check your PM inbox for a copy of the full thing and my reply, it might make things a little more clearer than the kinda open post im making here).

...Yes I did use smaller plugins AND said what I did to make bigger and Needed plugins that everyone has been waiting for. I never said i did all the scripting and did give credit where I got the smaller plugins from...Everyone is so worried on their scripting being used by someone else yet it is set to add and modify yourself...WTF? Useing my approch to produce plugins is better.. WHY re do scripting that has already been done... THAT I say is stupid and very counter productive. Why re-invent the wheel. IMHO Sourcemod should have been more mature by now and not lacking in stuff as like a simple Beacon plugin that someone with less than 3 weeks of ever seeing any scripting could make.

TechKnow

I am making this public because this is the wrong way to think as far as scripting goes. Yes, in some ways you don't want to re-do scripting that has already been done, but you don't want to just swipe code from someone and not improve it, not cite where you got it from, and then claim it as your own. His approach on making plugins is a full 180 of what the dev team wants. We want people to emulate the code of other plugins and apply it as needed for their own plugins. Now, granted, if someone has made a REALLY good function and it cant be beat, by all means use it, but cite within the plugin itself where you got it from and the author who originally produced it. TechKnow seems to be hung up on this idea that people are ever so staunch on the sharing of code, that nobody wants any code to be shared at all, and thats not true. By all means, we want all the code produced in every plugin available to be shared between users. Thats the entire point of this community.

But within this sharing comes responsibility in the use of this code. You cant just take the code, jerry-rig the code into your plugin, and claim it as your own, and just say, as TechKnow did, that pRED and whoever else helped. To me, that doesn't fly. I know in the AMXx approval process, that would be a quick denial. That isn't "helping," thats stealing. Look at the source itself, it doesn't mention pRED or the other guy at all, yet their code is very clearly there.

It comes down to the fact that using code is a two way street. We have the code open-sourced so that, as I stated earlier, people can build upon the code of others and modify it as needed for their own needs, provided proper citation is given, preferably (in my mind) within the .sp of the plugin and in the post of the plugin's release.

Now, back to the original post (long derailment I know)...

Yes, the end result is a single plugin, not a group of the same plugin. You wouldnt have Beacon-Roach, Beacon-Pred, and Beacon-Ferret. Instead it would be SM_Beacon, but the author would be cited within the plugin as the Sourcemod Community. Nobody gets any explicit credit. Everyone has as much right to upload, edit, modify and change things as they see fit so that it is a TRULY community authored plugin. Now, obviously, things need to be ratified by the community, and no one person has say over everyone else, ground rules would need to be made, but it is a new way of thinking of how to handle some of the popular, complementary, plugins for SM. We run into issues with AMXx where some of the most popular plugin authors fall off of the face of the Earth and their support stops. What do you do to continue support? This fixes that issue, as the community is in charge of updates, bugfixes, and the like.

By all means, the current Beacon plugin that Techknow has created is, and SHOULD be used in the basis of the community created beacon plugin, even if he is banished. He contributed 10% of the original code, and albeit small, it is a portion of the code.

Thats my take on things. Hopefully that clears it up a bit more. Obviously if this were to fly, things would need to be drawn up a bit clearer between the devs and so forth, but its how I see it working at this point for such plugins.

sessus
12-11-2007, 20:04
I am making this public because this is the wrong way to think as far as scripting goes. [...]

On the basis that I never really took TechKnow very seriously (was gonna write something different, but no need to bother the moderators):

I am sorry Roach but your logic is clearly invalid. You seem to make the whole copy-and-paste thing morally wrong. I have to agree with TechKnow that re-using code is simply smart and trying to code every idea from scratch either means one has too much free time or one likes pedantism (notice the use of 'one' to make impersonal ;)). You do have a point about creating unique plugins, but that is merely a side-thought.

Finally, Roach, you should have a think about why there are such things as PMs. He posted that to you and only to you. So, next time you have an interesting PM, keep it to yourself.

-sessus

ps: If you are thinking about replying to this, please keep it short to prevent skim reading :P

Roach
12-11-2007, 20:38
sessus if you were in #sourcemod during any of this, you would have ended up finding out that all of his copying and pasting made for a really poorly coded plugin.

Would you like an example of poor coding?

Ok. Here you go.

HookEvent("round_end", EventRoundEnd, EventHookMode_PostNoCopy);

All of that just to return Plugin_Handled;

This is an example of when copy+paste goes horribly awry.

And I don't think anywhere in there I said copy+paste is inherently bad. In some cases copy+paste is a great idea, provided credit is properly given where credit is due.

You need to re-read all of my post, as you missed the points I made completely. Skimming through that will end up biting you in the ass, as it seems to have right here.

As far as the PM goes, it might be a private message, but it serves a purpose on a different level. And as he is a banned user, I could frankly care less about how I deal w/ correspondence between myself and him. If it serves a purpose in showing how a flawed thought can end up skewing a good concept, then yes, I'm going to use it.

ferret
12-11-2007, 21:18
THIS IS ALL MOOT.

Revision 1791. I added sm_beacon. Have fun. Fully supports all targetting methods and sm_admin menu.

Roach
12-11-2007, 21:19
Yes, it is moot.

Quite moot. NJ on the recoding as well.

I still think the idea is a good idea though, as he still has about 4 other plugins on the table.

sessus
12-11-2007, 21:32
Moot it is.

Thx Ferret.
Thx Roach; however, .... ah whatever. It's all good.

ferret
12-11-2007, 22:26
The sm_beacon revision is now available.

Paria
12-12-2007, 04:21
i just upgraded to sourcmeod revision 1793 - tf2 server , tested ingame through sm_admin the beacon command on myself - all 3 times it crashes my client :oops:

just tested on another player and we both crashed - client crashes not server o0

TFN|Nick
12-12-2007, 04:46
edit beaten to it.

csallis
12-12-2007, 06:34
THIS IS ALL MOOT.

Revision 1791. I added sm_beacon. Have fun. Fully supports all targetting methods and sm_admin menu.

Good work ferret going to upgrade now :)

Did the same to me as soon as I beaconed someone it crashed

ferret
12-12-2007, 08:18
Throw up a bug report, since it's an official peice now. I'll fix it tonight after work. I tested under CS:S. The temp entity being used may not be available under TF2, if I had to take a random guess. (Sorta like how sm_burn didn't have a fire effect)

csallis
12-12-2007, 08:42
Throw up a bug report, since it's an official peice now. I'll fix it tonight after work. I tested under CS:S. The temp entity being used may not be available under TF2, if I had to take a random guess. (Sorta like how sm_burn didn't have a fire effect)

I tested this on cs:source that is the only game I play and my client crashed and the person I beaconed to. Workds fine on bots though.

ferret
12-12-2007, 08:48
:/ That's weird.

It worked fine while I was testing. I set beacons on myself and on bots. I'll deal with it first thing tonight.

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 09:25
Updated to 1793 this mornning. Tested on myself and bots. Worked like a charm in Counter-Strike Source.

Manni
12-12-2007, 09:45
tested it on hl2dm (hl2mp) with rev .1793

no effect. no crash, nothing, don't work.

ferret
12-12-2007, 09:56
Manni: Did you see messages or log messages for at least?

ferret
12-12-2007, 09:59
I'll try under multiple mods tonight, but reports are now conflicting :/

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 10:12
Well.. It gets even worse. At first update I tried the beacon. I ran beacon through menu on myself and bots with no problems. Beacon worked fine. Beacon sound played and rings showed. After that I came and made my post on it working for me because I read it was not working for some. After updates I always take a look now and then at logs to see what is or might be going on. Found this error in logs.

L 12/12/2007 - 08:22:37: [SM] Native "KillTimer" reported: Invalid timer handle 0 (error 4)
L 12/12/2007 - 08:22:37: [SM] Debug mode is not enabled for "basefuncommands.smx"
L 12/12/2007 - 08:22:37: [SM] To enable debug mode, edit plugin_settings.cfg, or type: sm plugins debug 20 on

So I toggled debugging on and rejoined server to test further. Now when I try beacon on self or bots, I too get client crash. Server does not crash. After client crash, I tried a couple more times with same result. There are no further logs after turnning debugging on.

ferret
12-12-2007, 10:18
I know a potential cause of for that.

ferret
12-12-2007, 10:29
Try this copy of beacon.sp. It should resolve the KillTimer issue.

Put it in scripting/basefuncommands/

Then recompile basefuncommands and copy it over.

Edit: Removed attachment, see below post

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 10:45
Ok tested. Errors are gone. Beacon command works with no crashes. Beacon sound plays, but no rings red (t) or blue (ct). No errors tested multiple times. exiting server and returning after each test. Ran mutiple beacons at same time. All beacon sounds played, but no visable rings.

ferret
12-12-2007, 10:51
Sigh, sorry. I forgot one tiny function call.

Bloodlvst
12-12-2007, 11:06
Ferret you are awesome.

This updated one will be in the next svn release?

Manni
12-12-2007, 11:06
Manni: Did you see messages or log messages for at least?

L 12/12/2007 - 15:31:57: [basefuncommands.smx] "Manni ( test )<44><STEAM_0:0xxx><>" set a beacon on "DHOT [GSU]<22><STEAM_0:0xxx45469><>"
L 12/12/2007 - 15:32:18: [basefuncommands.smx] "Manni ( test )<44><STEAM_0:0xxx><>" set a beacon on "Ħى|Rusher<30><STEAM_0:1xxx84613><>"
L 12/12/2007 - 15:32:19: [basefuncommands.smx] "Manni ( test )<44><STEAM_0:0xxx><>" removed a beacon on "DHOT [GSU]<22><STEAM_0:0xxx45469><>"
L 12/12/2007 - 15:32:31: [basefuncommands.smx] "Manni ( test )<44><STEAM_0:0xxx><>" set a beacon on "Manni ( test )<44><STEAM_0:0xxx3042><>"

That's all. No errors in the erros_ logs

(p.s. i cut the SteamIDs)

ferret
12-12-2007, 11:07
Ferret you are awesome.

This updated one will be in the next svn release?

Not till tonight. I have to test personally before I can commit it, I'm writing this stuff blindly at work with no testing beyond whether or not it compiles :P

ferret
12-12-2007, 11:08
Manni: I will build a test server for hl2mp tonight and try.

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 11:10
Tested. Downloaded new beacon.sp with function call. Compiled and replaced basefuncommands.smx. Restarted server and joined to test. Beacon worked like a charm tested on self and bots. Ran Multiple beacons to test fully all worked fine rings and sounds. To test further I changed map. Now getting client crash when running beacon command. No errors in logs to report. Strange that it works fine first map at restart then crashes client after map change with no errors.

Bloodlvst
12-12-2007, 11:10
Awww...so close :(

Manni
12-12-2007, 11:13
Manni: I will build a test server for hl2mp tonight and try.

Ok, thank you.

p.s. It's a Linux Server. But i think it makes no difference.

ferret
12-12-2007, 11:15
Ok here we go, let's give this one a try. Note two files this time, get both.

Thanks for testing btw.

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 15:22
Awesome. Thanks for coding. Beacon now works fine in Counter-Strike Source. Multiple map changes. No client crashes. Sound and rings Multiple players at a time. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thanks once again.

ferret
12-12-2007, 15:24
Just because I know "someone" has been grumbling about this, everyone is welcome to compare beacon.sp to the original poster's beacon and see that beyond the fact that it emits the same sound and uses the same TempEntity, both of which come from VALVe and don't belong to any scripter, mine is completely different and shares almost no further similarities.

tkaway69
12-12-2007, 15:40
Makes me glad to be a user. I can go in and edit some of the phrases if I feel it. That is as far as it goes. I am just glad to see it implemented into the admin menu nice and neatly. I dont have to open three admin menus to do the things I want. Hopefully that "someone" has seen the error of his ways.

ferret
12-12-2007, 15:41
From what I read on "someone"'s site, I doubt he's seen any error or understood any of what has happened.

csallis
12-12-2007, 16:17
I tried to compile those updated sp's but the beacon one fails to compile.

I got a pm about that site but didnt know who it was and I didnt know what he was banned for.

ferret
12-12-2007, 16:19
You only compile basefuncommands. You should put beacon.sp into scripting/basefuncommands/beacon.sp

basefuncommands.sp will #include beacon.sp

csallis
12-12-2007, 16:41
You only compile basefuncommands. You should put beacon.sp into scripting/basefuncommands/beacon.sp

basefuncommands.sp will #include beacon.sp

Great thanks a lot :)

ferret
12-12-2007, 18:43
The fixes are in rivision 1794.

Manni
12-12-2007, 18:47
The fixes are in rivision 1794.

Thank you. That was really fast.
You have had time and checked the hl2mp also?

ferret
12-12-2007, 18:49
No, I have not checked hl2mp. It'll take me a bit to setup, so if you can test 1794 and post back you may save me some time :)

Roach
12-12-2007, 22:57
Reading "someone"'s tirades is like watching a fish in the Sahara search for water, flopping around and being a moron.

Manni
12-13-2007, 05:01
No, I have not checked hl2mp. It'll take me a bit to setup, so if you can test 1794 and post back you may save me some time :)

Ok, np :)

I tested it just now. The blue lines are working now. :)
But there is no sound. It need probably another sound file in hl2mp.
Failed to load sound "ambient\tones\elev1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

AND, another big new problem, since i updated to r1795 i cannot open
the sm_admin menu anymore. (it's the ESC mouse click Menu in hl2dm)
BUT this is unconfirmed until now, i need some more tests, maybe i did something wrong, but i don't think so.

I'll let you know later today!

csallis
12-13-2007, 06:50
I notice this comes up in the admin menu under player commands, I also use sm_super_menu and would like this to appear in Fun Commands that comes from super_menu instead of player commands, is this easy for me to do?

TFN|Nick
12-13-2007, 08:23
I notice this comes up in the admin menu under player commands, I also use sm_super_menu and would like this to appear in Fun Commands that comes from super_menu instead of player commands, is this easy for me to do?

Yeah... go into your supermenu.ini file (or whatever it is now!) and add it in the same style as the other entries under fun commands :D

Nick

csallis
12-13-2007, 09:09
Yeah... go into your supermenu.ini file (or whatever it is now!) and add it in the same style as the other entries under fun commands :D

Nick

Ok great thanks and how would I remove it from player commands? Seems pointless having it in 2 places

tcviper
12-13-2007, 11:51
This is now default in sourcemod ;)

Manni
12-13-2007, 12:54
Here my promised info.

The Menu seems to be working again. But i didn't change anything.
Hmm, i'll have to keep an eye on that.

TFN|Nick
12-13-2007, 15:33
Ok great thanks and how would I remove it from player commands? Seems pointless having it in 2 places

Go into your config in the sourcemod directory and find admin menu sorting... Then remove it from that list.