PDA

View Full Version : New Bug Report System

BAILOPAN
02-20-2007, 03:02
I am pleased to announce that we have done away with the old Bug Reports forum. It has now been replaced with bugs.alliedmods.net (http://bugs.alliedmods.net/?project=2), powered by Flyspray (http://www.flyspray.org). You can log into the bug system with your forums account (and you must have a forums account to log in).

There were many problems with the old setup. Since most people don't bother reading instructions, no matter how bright, bold, and red the text was, it was often cluttered with ridiculous, irrelevant posts. And since it was close to the forum software itself, it often attracted "me too," or unhelpful, side-tracked topics by users not realizing that they were only hurting the reporting process.

This new system is centralized across AlliedModders projects. It lets us assign issues to specific releases, organize milestones, assign priorities, and force categorization of reports. Hopefully this will greatly improve how we interact with users when resolving issues.

Unfortunately, we are unable to import the old bug reports into the new system. Thus, we invite anyone with old, outstanding reports (http://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24) to repost them into the new system (http://bugs.alliedmods.net/?project=2).

On that note, a few select issues have been fixed in the 1.76 branch over the past month or so. Thus, we have decided to release a 1.76d in the interim, which will come out shortly. Development of the 1.77 branch has started thanks to sawce (http://forums.alliedmods.net/member.php?u=13800), and we will probably start beta testing sometime in March.

Freecode
02-20-2007, 03:25
GJ! Lets just hope we dont see people posting server help or scripting questions there o.O

Arkshine
02-20-2007, 03:43
Good job B. ;)

Hawk552
02-20-2007, 06:52
Hopefully this will speed everything up, good job.

FormulaZero
02-20-2007, 07:04
Indeed, while doing so I hope everyone will understande exactly why it was made, and post in the correct forum now.

jopmako
02-20-2007, 10:40
very good...

Brad
02-20-2007, 10:56
Sexuh.

P34nut
02-20-2007, 12:05
Nice

Zenith77
02-20-2007, 12:16
Yay for organization.

GoD-Tony
02-20-2007, 12:39
Nice work, but who is this sawce you speak of?

Da_sk8rboy
02-20-2007, 15:43
but who is this sawce you speak of?
You.. Don't know who sawce is? ........
Sawce can eat a moose whole.. (If you don't understand how great that is.. Well, You can figure it out..) --> sawce (http://forums.alliedmods.net/member.php?u=13800)

FormulaZero
02-20-2007, 15:50
Nice work, but who is this sawce you speak of?

:sadpirate: As sawce would say.

Da_sk8rboy
02-20-2007, 15:54
:sadpirate: As sawce would say.
You Fail. (http://www.youfail.org/)

Twilight Suzuka
02-20-2007, 21:24
how do i shot web????///

devicenull
02-21-2007, 01:12
how do i shot web????///

With gaben.
http://wiki.tcwonline.org/images/Gabe_Newell.jpg

KWo
02-21-2007, 04:16
I cannot edit the report in the new bug system (or I'm blinded and I cannot see the "EDIT" button). I'm able to edit my comments, but I'm not able to edit the main report (for example to fix some typo). Can someone help?

sawce
02-21-2007, 04:45
Mouse over your username, a drop down will show (it's not a menu, just a quick display) that shows your your rights.

If "Modify Own Issues" isn't green then either ignore it if it's something trivial (unimportant typo) or just post a comment about it

If it IS green, the edit button is right above the comments tabs labeled "Edit this issue"

edit: just checked, no you can't modify an issue. just post a comment if it's important.

KWo
02-21-2007, 05:58
edit: just checked, no you can't modify an issue. just post a comment if it's important.

Should I write the bug report about new bug reporting system then? :D

Simon Logic
02-21-2007, 12:15
Where is a category dedicated to CSDM for CS 1.6?

BAILOPAN
02-21-2007, 12:17
You can't edit your own reports.

I have not yet decided if I want a category for CSDM for CS 1.6. It doesn't really have enough bugs to warrant it and I don't plan on any more big features.

KWo
02-22-2007, 07:50
If I could suggest something - if there are some "Feature requests" or "Bug Reports" You closed because - either You didn't like the idea or You didn't find the bug there - maybe it's better to keep closed such isuues (but still on the list - maybe even on a separate list) with the status "Rejected". Otherwise it may happen after a while the new user will ask about the same what You already rejected.

KWo
02-23-2007, 02:31
Another suggestion - maybe You can change the name of the link to the new bug reprting system from "Bug Reports (NEW)" to "Bug Reports and feature requests (NEW)" since it really so. The same about the description under that link ("New Bug Reporting System" chnage to "New System For Bug Reporting and Feature Requests").

sawce
02-23-2007, 02:45
Really I think the "Features Requests" should be left out of the name.

It attracts idiots who do not know that is not the place to request plugins to be made.

KWo
02-23-2007, 02:59
I really think the access to that forum should have only people registerred at AMX X forum longer than 3 months or so. It would prevent to attrackt idiots, too. In the current form only experienced AMX X users-members know, that forum is also for feature requests.

BAILOPAN
02-23-2007, 10:44
Final word on "dumb" reports: you have no idea how irritating it is for us to be doing work on the site and have every little intermediate step be reported by people who obsessively like making nonsensical, impatient reports that are often not even real issues.

There are categories of site "issues" that tend to be reported:
Things that would never, ever be addressed in a thousand years (a complicated or unnecessary request that no one would have time for)
Things that are obviously being tested or are temporary (debug output or messages)
Things that are properties of the forum software itself and, even if they were actually a real problem, should be reported to vBulletin and not us
Actual bugs or errors within our realm of fixing (related to our vB modifications or non-forum sites)

If your issue isn't #4, it WILL be trashed. We're not magic gods of every whim users have for the forums. It's just a communication tool, and we have better ways to spend our time.

Furthermore, there is an "AlliedModders" category on the bug tool to report site issues (it has been there since the start). The "Site Issues" forum will be closed soon, so there will be no excuse with cluttering the forums with bogus requests; your request will just get closed and that's that.

I hate to be a bug report nazi over this stuff, but it's very clear that there's a small group of people who continually abuse their reporting privileges, whereas most others use it fairly.

Edit: If it's a vBulletin issue, it will be directed to Jelsoft.

nhdriver4
02-23-2007, 21:35
Thanks for the great system. The forum method of bug reporting was hell. This should help out a lot.

Good job.

aligind4h0us3
02-25-2007, 01:17
New system far better then the previous one, but none-the-less, you will still get morons who submit useless crap. Good job.

KWo
02-26-2007, 15:08
I was trying to "filter" all closed issues. I've opened more properties by "Advanced" button, I've selected in the "Status" column "All closed issues". After that - I believe - I should push some button to see only closed issues, but either I'm blinded and I don't see it there or I should do something else to get benefities from those filters they are there. Can anyone help with that?

Freecode
02-26-2007, 15:31
Hit the "Search this project for" button (located to the right of the +Advanced button and the input field)

KWo
02-27-2007, 02:05
Hit the "Search this project for" button (located to the right of the +Advanced button and the input field)

Thanks - it works. :)

sprintboy
03-04-2007, 08:16
hopefully people wont spamm this

KWo
03-07-2007, 10:16
http://bugs.alliedmods.net/?do=details&task_id=30
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 Server at bugs.alliedmods.net Port 80

========================================

It happened for me when I was trying to add a long comment with my explanation for that what I discovered.

BAILOPAN
03-07-2007, 11:53
Does it happen every time? If so, attach your comment in a text file so I can try it myself.

P34nut
03-07-2007, 11:58
I have that error to

BAILOPAN
03-07-2007, 12:07
I'm not entirely sure why you posted that without answering either of the questions I had just asked.

KWo
03-07-2007, 16:50
That error message appears everytime now for me for that particular bug report I want to browse.
I think my comment just exceeded 8000 characters - that might be a reason of screwing up the report. After few hours (when I'll be again at work) I'll send to You the comment as an email (as txt file).

|PJ| Shorty
03-28-2007, 13:41
Little question,

is the bug report system restricted for most users?
canīt log in.
Error #23: User or Group not enabled for login.
I maybe could help with the nvault problem.

BAILOPAN
03-28-2007, 14:52
Make sure you are using the same exact name as the forums, case sensitively.

|PJ| Shorty
03-28-2007, 16:05
thx Bail,

but i use the exact same name, same problem,
maybe the special char "|"??

PS: Happy Birthday (little late) :up:

BAILOPAN
04-12-2007, 01:06
This should now be fixed.

|PJ| Shorty
04-12-2007, 03:15
Now works, thx Bail :up: