PDA

View Full Version : Live Streaming DJ's & MP3 JukeBox?

imported_CozmicShredder
12-22-2004, 00:00
I was thinking maybe this is really a module reguest more then a plugin but it would need a plugin too.

I was thinking how cool it would be to have a plugin that would stream live audio maybe from a bot into the game and people could like request songs to be played on the map?

Have the bot like either in the chat or it's own seperate model like a jukebox or stereo model?

I was thinking about having one of my other steam accounts play through chat but was hoping maybe there was another way to do it?

I don't want to precache it either was thinking streaming audio somehow?

Of course have a mute function as well but I was thinking of we could have people take turns being DJ's could set up a whole new type of live interaction in games too people could dedicate songs and have a DJ annouce stuff?

devicenull
12-22-2004, 18:32
Streaming live audio is probably not possible.

LoWe
12-24-2004, 18:04
I think it's better to use a separate radio-server to this (icecast or similar) and make a sourcemod-script that linked the cs:s-server to the radio-server.
If I have understod the way half-life 2 works right, you have a very limited amount of bandwidth to play around with, and a built in steaming audioserver should consume a lot of that, atleast if you want good sound quality.

imported_CozmicShredder
01-10-2005, 07:27
Ok, what about a Midi Jukebox instead?

That way clients just mainly use their resources and it would be minimal at that.

I know it may sound corny but I believe for some it would work as an alternative to the norm.

And there are millions of midi files out there..

I think there is great potential for such a plugin/module.

Have it where they have to use their money to pay for a song to play for everyone?

?? :roll:

ichthys
01-10-2005, 08:18
midi? lol

Greentryst
01-10-2005, 09:46
if you broadcast MIDI to a server, I will come to your house and eat your flesh

bdangol
01-10-2005, 15:14
Eat his flesh.....MIDI is annoying. lol but not that annoying.

imported_CozmicShredder
01-15-2005, 22:56
Not broadcast midi...

I was saying have a jukebox that plays midi's..

And midi's are to be downloaded and stored on client saves bandwidth.

I was suggesting this because believe it or not some people might actually use this idea.

After all the midi files as a whole complete song file are much smaller then wav files or mp3's

It's just an idea and someone maybe like me might actually make this seeing how SourceMod will be going JAVA...

Greentryst
01-16-2005, 00:48
The SourceMod scripting languages will include JavaScript, not Java.

As for MIDI, I sincerely doubt you will find many interested people -- admins, possibly, but certainly not their players. Of course MIDIs are tiny -- as you probably know, they're nothing but sets of instructions for notes and instruments. When they're used with most non-classical songs, they tend to sound flat, tinny, and obnoxious.

Unless you find people like me who might not mind hearing the Goldberg Variations during a CS session, I don't see much of a market for it. People would be much more likely to enjoy an entirely client-side MP3 jukebox.

The idea of DJing seems unlikely to garner much favor, either. The closest thing to that I've seen so far has been a custom-coded radio on the now-defunct TFC server "The SillyZone" and its derivatives. The radios tended to be destroyed in short order, because it was annoying to hear the same songs repeatedly, especially when anybody could choose what song you heard.

After bandwidth available to the average person increases significantly, I could see DJing become a possibility. lowe's suggestion of icecast (or similar) serving would probably be optimal for that.

imported_CozmicShredder
01-18-2005, 13:36
Well was just a thought was looking to try something new that didn't use bandwidth or precatching.

.:D3O:.Shutter
12-02-2007, 19:48
I my self am working on a online radio streaming manager called perl-ms Perl Managed Streaming (pms for short).

Anyways, it controls stream and has a API that a plugin can easily fallow. The streaming server can be on the same one as your source server or a separate server. It is very possible.

ferret
12-03-2007, 09:53
Holy thread resurrection.