PDA

View Full Version : Plugin Posting

BAILOPAN
12-06-2004, 14:28
In order to assuage the hordes of people asking for some downloads, I've added an "HL2 Server Plugin" section to the forum so people can begin posting their works.

There's no requirements to posting other than you must provide a download and instructions (although giving source benefits the community).

So if you're eager for basic administration stuff, check out this section - people are already contributing server plugins for admin commands and weapon restriction.

Just a note - these are not "SourceMod" plugins, they are "Server Plugins", that run on Valve's built in Metamod mechanism.

--- More technical stuff ---

I am now proposing a solution to the "how do I make a vdf" file problem that will arise.

Anyone who makes a plugin should distribute a VDF file for their plugin, named after the plugin binary, with the plugin. For clarity, people should also name their plugins with "_sp", for "server plugin". This will help everyone. For example, if I make "myadmin_sp.dll", I should distribute a file called "myadmin_sp.vdf" that has this in it:

"Plugin"
{
"file" "myadmin_sp"
}

And then tell people to place that in addons. Hopefully this will reduce the surely upcoming confusion as more plugins are made.

And unless people want to adopt some other standard, I'll promote this one.

Frag on!

PM
12-08-2004, 00:01
hey wen does this sourcemod come out?

BigBaller
12-08-2004, 01:04
When it comes out.

Bailopan please configure these boards up!!!

BAILOPAN
12-08-2004, 01:38
What do you want me to fix? :)

I like guests being able to post in the news anonymously, it encourages open speech, and if people want, they can sign up.

I'll try to moderate it better ;]

BigBaller
12-08-2004, 02:03
Being able to edit your own posts?

I cant do that >_<, maybe its on your forum permissions or something but it seems to me I cant edit my own posts on where I post?

Geesu
12-08-2004, 14:00
add a new code button that colors it correctliy like the [small] button?

Or just replaced the [code] with the cool one ?

BigBaller
12-08-2004, 14:23
Yea that would be sexy, to replace the code button with the sexy colors :)

PM
12-09-2004, 06:16
What this?? SourceMod is Released??
8)

BAILOPAN
12-09-2004, 07:37
Do people even read the news posts :roll:

PM
12-09-2004, 09:56
Though this question is probably not in it's right place here, I'd like to ask whether some sort of end-user grading can be applied to the currently offered custom Half-Life2 server plugins.
Right now it seems there are already 5 larger direct server plugin projects running, all with different commands, options, stability and support for either windows, linux or 64-bit servers.
People who are looking for some basic plugin before Sourcemod is released, can’t easily see what would work best on their system, due to the current wild grow of plugins, as well as meaningless replies either praising the plugin or begging for larger support.
An end-user evaluation system might make choosing a whole lot easier, or even better: a small review for each plugin, written by an objective tester of course.
Ant chance of this getting set up any time soon?

Best regards,
Tim

BAILOPAN
12-09-2004, 11:38
At least, I'm not personally gonna review anything.

They're third party server plugins and I'd like to stay impartial.

Maybe eventually I'll make some sort of rating system...

{SvG}TWiSTED
12-09-2004, 20:27
Hey I was woundering if this sounds like a good idea to any other people out ther. If there was an admin logging tottaly seperate from the server logs or anything. This would be great for potential plugins without having to parse the whole server logs to get the admin logs. A such plugin would be a limitation to the number of bans that could be placed by a admin, just in case they somehow got mad at the server owner and started banning everyone that came in, plus it would make for great stats plugins for just a admin stats area. Anyways let me know what everyone thinks

devicenull
12-09-2004, 22:06
We could modify each post to be a poll, with like 3 different rating options. But then the problem is people using one will go rate the two others the worst. It might be worth a try...

Added a poll to mine, to see how well it will work.
Click here (http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=36858)