PDA

View Full Version : sv and var lag on CSGO dedicated servers?

olicool11
04-14-2016, 12:37
Hi All, not sure what the issue I'm having here is but my servers have recently started to get major sv and var lag when playing on them and I cant see a reason behind this.

Servers are being hosted on a win server 2012 box running an i7-2600 @3.4ghz with 16gb ram and gbit port (average speeds of 800ish mbps).

I had been running the servers as 128 tick and they lag even with just 10 players, I'm not sure why this is as there never used to be an issue? Just to clarify this problem happens with and without Metamod/sourcemod and also occurs on totally freshly installed servers.

has anybody else experienced this and know how to solve it?!

Maxximou5
04-14-2016, 15:21
I have few questions:

When did this start happening?
Did you recently install or update your server?
How many servers are you running? (Maximum of 4)
Is this your own or a VPS, do you have any other services running on this machine?

Neuro Toxin
04-14-2016, 19:21
Your overloading your 5 year old cpu.

My guess is your trying to run more than 4 servers on this box.

Edit:

Do you run any other servers like http or mysql on this box?

olicool11
04-15-2016, 08:47
CPU has seen 14% utilization at max, only noticed this happening recently within the last month or so at a guess?

The actual server OS has not been changed in any way bar the usual windows updates. The csgo dedicated servers this happens with newly created as well as already existing.

This is with just the one server running
Its a dedicated server in a datacenter over in Germany, there are assorted other services running on the machine however none of them are particularly high demand

The server does also have http and mysql installed on it however the mysql is only used by the csgo servers and even then it will lag regardless of if anything is actually trying to use it or not. The http server is used only for fastdl and again this isnt actually being used for anything at present as the maps being used are valve official.

If windows stats are to be believed there should be more than enough headroom that the servers should be running fine and as far as I am aware I didn't change anything on the machine between when it was previously running the servers fine (probably the end of 2015?) and now

Triniayo
04-15-2016, 09:28
I would recommend you to switch to Linux, since Windows uses alot of ressources, and can also cause SV/VAR Lags.

olicool11
04-15-2016, 09:47
I would recommend you to switch to Linux, since Windows uses alot of ressources, and can also cause SV/VAR Lags.

I would but I need windows for some other services I use, might end up using ESXi and having both... Still seems strange that they used to work perfectly fine and now lag to holy hell as soon as there is any players online, you can actually add bots one by one and watch the sv/var rising :salty:

Neuro Toxin
04-15-2016, 17:40

Lol. Lets not start one of these threads. Nor is this type of statement completely accurate.

CPU has seen 14% utilization at max, only noticed this happening recently within the last month or so at a guess?

Remember csgo is predominantly single threaded and uses one cpu core. During server variance you should see the servers core usage starting to max out.

Your cpu is 4 cores / 8 threads.

100 / 8 == full core usage will appear as 12.5% of overall cpu usage.

Note: windows seperates networking onto a new thread improving cpu performance over linux for a single server instance

If you have lots non threaded actions like mysql queries or client pref these will hang the server thread creating variance while cpu usage isnt maxing out on the servers cpu core.

When you get sv var again check.
- Task manager -> performance - is a single core maxing out

To confirm.
1. The entire machine is yours?
2. It's not virtual hosting / vpn?
3. How old is the box?

olicool11
04-16-2016, 07:04
The machine is not owned by me, it is rented from a server provider however I have full use of it as a dedicated box. I'm unsure of its exact age however based on the hardware its probably a safe bet to suggest somewhere around 5 years old.

I am aware of this and actually you have managed to help me find out what the problem is with that statement, there appears to be some issue with the server assigned core affinity. For testing I manually forced it to use thread 4 and the result of this was that the server ran significantly better with sv maxing at 6 though still not as stable as i'd like. This was using around 80% of the thread it was assigned at maximum.

I then assigned thread 5 as well and everything went to hell, sv back to jumping between 12 and high 20s. Not really sure what is causing this but its at least something for me to go on I guess!

Strange as when the shadow cases launched I had 4 32 tick servers running with 64 players on each so 256 total and this was managing to assign resources just fine across the CPU. Obviously I understand 32 tick is far less stressful but still odd that resource management was fine then. Guess I need to go exploring in the server a bit...