PDA

View Full Version : Two factor authentication?!

decowboy
03-04-2016, 06:04
As the Dutch would say: "Nou breekt mijn klomp."

Steam has been bugging everyone to link their account to their mobile phone using SteamGuard. Logging into your Steam account will then require two factor authentication; they'll send you a push notification on your phone, which you need to enter on your computer in order to proceed with the login.

If you choose not protect your account with SteamGuard, a couple of things will happen:
a) They'll keep continuously bugging you about it.
b) They'll hold all your market transactions for days.

So, like anyone who starts by refusing to cooperate, I gave into them just to get rid of all these nuisances, and protected my account using SteamGuard.

But now, SCRDS requires two factor authentication every time I start my server!

All scripts and tools that restart your server when there is a crash or update have become useless, since the server will be offline until you get around to entering the code you receive on your phone.

Has anyone else run into this? Has anyone come across any solution?

Seems my best bet is to just disable SteamGuard and live with all the nuisances.

The weird thing is, I tried to google this problem and basically came up empty.
This is the only thread I could find that mentions this problem:
https://github.com/dgibbs64/linuxgsm/issues/579

asherkin
03-04-2016, 15:00
It isn't SRCDS requiring the login - it is your script that is trying to invoke SteamCmd to update the server every time it starts - if you're using one of very few games that actually needs a login (rather than using anonymous login) you should create a dedicated Steam account for it.