PDA

View Full Version : [CS:GO] Getting the Player's Speed.. Why is it negative?

aexi0n
11-05-2014, 22:17
EDIT: Okay. So I've managed to figure out how to get an accurate speed displayed on the HUD, but now I'm starting to wonder if this is a very bad way to do it? Like having such a large math calculation in my timer HUD that executes every 0.1? Here is my code, if it is a very bad way to do it what should I do?

public Action:HUD(Handle:timer)
{

for (new i = 1; i <= MaxClients; i++)
{
if (IsClientInGame(i) && IsPlayerAlive(i))
{
decl Float:fVelocity[3];
GetEntPropVector(i, Prop_Data, "m_vecVelocity", fVelocity);
new Float:currentspeed = SquareRoot(Pow(fVelocity[0],2.0)+Pow(fVelocity[1],2.0));

PrintHintText(i, "[Lv. %d] %N <font color='#FF1D8E'>XP: %d/%d</font>\n Time: <font color='#ff0000'>0:00:00</font> \n Speed: %f ", Level[i], i, XP[i], XP_Needed[i], currentspeed);
}
}
}

Zephyrus
11-05-2014, 23:53
thats THE way to calculate the length of velocity (=speed), not sure why you think its bad. also, 3 calculations*32*10=960 calculations a SECOND. thats nothing

friagram
11-06-2014, 11:44
Speed = GetVectorLength(velocity)
If use prop data with some entities it may be stale. Some entities store their velocity in other places as well.

Mitchell
11-06-2014, 11:54
Heres a useful plugin that you can reference to: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1106888
Your server should be fine as far as calculations go, since the server does way more calculations than that on a vanilla server.
Also i'd recommend defining the variables in the scope of the timer, not the loop.

friagram
11-06-2014, 12:05
Some of my plugins do some dozens (hundreds?) of float operations per frame per client, and the servers run fine.

VoiDeD
11-07-2014, 03:46
And considering modern FPUs are benchmarked in GFLOPs... You could tack on considerably more 0s to your floating point ops per frame and be just fine.

aexi0n
11-07-2014, 10:33
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies, I've solved my issue by making the following changes:

1. I declared my variables outside of my loop as suggested by Mitchell, Thanks!

2. I was also getting a number with 0.0000000 decimal places, so in order to have a cleaner HUD I used the format parameter %.0f to make it show only the whole number!

My final code is below in case anybody finds a use for it! Now it's on to creating a timer, but I'll probably open a new thread regarding that challenge. Thanks again everybody for the help.

public Action:HUD(Handle:timer)
{
decl Float:fVelocity[3];
new Float:currentspeed

for (new i = 1; i <= MaxClients; i++)
{
if (IsClientInGame(i) && IsPlayerAlive(i))
{
GetEntPropVector(i, Prop_Data, "m_vecVelocity", fVelocity);
currentspeed = SquareRoot(Pow(fVelocity[0],2.0)+Pow(fVelocity[1],2.0));

PrintHintText(i, "[Lv. %d] %N <font color='#FF1D8E'>XP: %d/%d</font>\n Time: <font color='#ff0000'>0:00:00</font> \n Speed: %.0f ", Level[i], i, XP[i], XP_Needed[i], currentspeed);
}
}
}