PDA

View Full Version : [resolved] crossbow too strong?

BBG_Theory
01-20-2013, 22:02
Had a complaint about the Crossbow being too strong. Anyone else feel this weapon needs to be nerfed?
Powerlord, what would be the best way to adjust the damage of a particular weapon like this if one wanted to nerf it some for everyone (not a boss)?

edit... Powerlord would this be right for tf2items.weapons.txt?

"custom_weapons_v3"
{
"*"
{
"305"//The Crusader's Crossbow
{
"level" "100"
"quality" "10" //customized
"1" "1;0.50" //less base damage done
}
}
}

DanK.
01-21-2013, 00:42
refer to this post:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=1876475&postcount=2

You also have to specify the quality, (i think). refer to this image for help with the config: http://screencast.com/t/b6DyTdPt5

You can exclude the boss, just make the edits to the weapon in the boss .cfg.

Fearts
01-21-2013, 01:11
Which gets priority?

tf2items.weapons.txt
or
<bossname>.cfg

If the Boss config gets priority over tf2items.weapons.txt you could do like you wanted in the OP and just edit the <bossname>.cfg to offset that change.

BBG_Theory
01-21-2013, 10:26
I posted here becasue I was wondering if anyone else in the FF2 world thought the crossbow did too much damage to the FF2 boss (and also hopefully get clarification on how to nerf it ( updated my config guess above)

MasterOfTheXP
01-21-2013, 11:36
The Crossbow was nerfed in VSH. If it hasn't been nerfed in FF2, you could download the latest VSH code, and merge the Crossbow's OnGiveNamedItem case into FF2.

Editing a weapon with tf2items.weapons.txt if it's already edited in FF2 is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure FF2 would get priority, as it's loaded before TF2Items Manager. (Probably.)

BBG_Theory
01-21-2013, 15:26
Master, from VSH line 2203 through 2211 is this, and it looks (unless I am totally lost on how this is working) looks like it makes it stronger, not weaker

case 305:
{
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "17 ; 0.1 ; 2 ; 1.2"); // ; 266 ; 1.0");
if (hItemOverride != INVALID_HANDLE)
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}

as attribute 17 is add uber charge on hit and attribute 2 is add damage bonus. So in VSH did we add 10% uber damage and add 20% actual damage?

edited, in FF2 106h we have this

case 305:
{
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(_, _, "17 ; 0.1 ; 2 ; 2.5");
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}

so do we have the crossbow 250% stronger on damage and 1% add uber damage?

In 107 we have this

case 305:
{
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "17 ; 0.1 ; 2 ; 1.2"); // ; 266 ; 1.0");
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}
like the VSH, but am I understanding this right..we are making this weapon stronger? but 20% (not sure I know the mag factor of the 0.1 vs the 1.2)

Powerlord
01-21-2013, 15:43
The Crossbow was nerfed in VSH. If it hasn't been nerfed in FF2, you could download the latest VSH code, and merge the Crossbow's OnGiveNamedItem case into FF2.

Editing a weapon with tf2items.weapons.txt if it's already edited in FF2 is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure FF2 would get priority, as it's loaded before TF2Items Manager. (Probably.)

It was already nerfed in the 1.07 betas to be identical to the VSH version.

Master, from VSH line 2203 through 2211 is this, and it looks (unless I am totally lost on how this is working) looks like it makes it stronger, not weaker

case 305:
{
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}

as attribute 17 is add uber charge on hit and attribute 2 is add damage bonus. So in VSH did we add 10% uber damage and add 20% actual damage?

edited, in FF2 106h we have this

case 305:
{
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(_, _, "17 ; 0.1 ; 2 ; 2.5");
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}

so do we have the crossbow 250% stronger on damage and 1% add uber damage?

In 107 we have this

case 305:
{
{
hItem = hItemOverride;
return Plugin_Changed;
}
}
like the VSH, but am I understanding this right..we are making this weapon stronger? but 20% (not sure I know the mag factor of the 0.1 vs the 1.2)

Basically, it now does only 120% normal damage instead of 250%. Also remember that primary weapons as a whole are not crit-boosted.

BBG_Theory
01-21-2013, 17:33
ok thanks guys. If I could just make sure one small point is driven home and totally clear, it is regarding the damage alteration. Would
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "2 ; 1.0");
make no change at all and be totally redundant as the strength would be 100% of weapon's original strength and therefor be no change at all?

and if so, would these 2 examples do the exact same thing (both decrease the original damage power by 20 percent?
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "2 ; 0.8");
and
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "1 ; 1.2");

Thanks again for you guys' input on this.. it might help another post on here about weapons tweaking and I know this is now more relevant to tf2items.. so takeaway here is dont tweak with item_manager unless it is not already dealt with in FF2

DanK.
01-21-2013, 22:07
ok thanks guys. If I could just make sure one small point is driven home and totally clear, it is regarding the damage alteration. Would
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "2 ; 1.0");make no change at all and be totally redundant as the strength would be 100% of weapon's original strength and therefor be no change at all?

and if so, would these 2 examples do the exact same thing (both decrease the original damage power by 20 percent?
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "2 ; 0.8");
and
new Handle:hItemOverride = PrepareItemHandle(hItem, _, _, "1 ; 1.2");

Thanks again for you guys' input on this.. it might help another post on here about weapons tweaking and I know this is now more relevant to tf2items.. so takeaway here is dont tweak with item_manager unless it is not already dealt with in FF2

The attribute is a damage bonus, so 1.0 would be a 100% damage boost. You CANNOT decrease the damage using the damage bonus attribute, 0.8 would mean an 80% damage increase and 1.2 a 120% damage increase.

BBG_Theory
01-21-2013, 23:05
got it! thanks! so wow, at 250% damage boost in 1.06, we were really giving a huge damage increase to the crossbow..
[subject closed]

MasterOfTheXP
01-21-2013, 23:46
1.0 is 100% (no change), not +100%. It's a multiplier. 2.0 would be 2x (+100%). 0.8 would be 0.8x; 80% of the original damage value, which is 20% less than 100%, so -20% damage done.

You can give penalties with bonuses, and vice versa, but...it doesn't look good when inspecting.