12% 

Hero: Victim 15/21

Post New Thread Reply   

World Crafter
Old 05-21-2007 , 18:28   Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #1

Victim 15/21
Description
This is a ghost (a significant one) from Silent Hill 4.
As Victim 15/21, you can damage enemies merely by standing near them. You also will not stay dead; if you are killed, you are always brought back "x" number of seconds later.

[img]http://img149.**************/img149/7886/silenthill4render011003ra7.jpg[/img]

CVARS:
Code:
//Victim 15/21
vic15_level 10
vic15_revivetimer 5		//Time (in seconds) before Victim 15 is brought back
vic15_auradamage 15		//Damage dealt to an enemy in range of Victim15's
vic15_frequency 3		//How frequently aura damage is dealt (in seconds) to players in the aura's radius
vic15_auraradius 300		//Radius of Victim 15's ghostly aura
NOTES:
-The delayed respawning for this hero is completely bug free. You will never respawn without your hud and you will never respawn as a "ghost"(when you are dead but the game says you are alive).
-You will know when an enemy is in your aura. Your screen will fade ever-so-slightly red and you will begin to emit a static noise. The static gets louder depending on how many enemies are around you.
-If an enemy is in your aura, their screen will turn a dark, saturated red to hinder their playing ability while in the aura. It is much darker than the red fade that you experience when an enemy is within range.

If there are any bugs with this hero, please tell me so I can fix it. This is my first hero, I probably overlooked something.
Attached Files
File Type: zip victim15.zip (160.8 KB, 1575 views)

Last edited by World Crafter; 05-22-2007 at 07:51.
Rolnaaba
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2007 , 10:12   Re: Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #2

Code:
-The delayed respawning for this hero is completely bug free. You will never respawn without your hud and you will never respawn as a "ghost"(when you are dead but the game says you are alive).
I doubt that lol I am sure it will not happen often, but CS it self is buggy and i will happen I poromise you.
Old 05-22-2007 , 17:31   Re: Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #3

And I can assure you that it is completely bug free. I've gone through hours of testing on this for days.
After some extremely tedious research before releasing this hero, determined to fix the respawn bug, I stumbled across an admin respawn plugin that worked by reviving the player twice with a 0.2-second delay in between the respawns. As you probably know, the general rule of thumb is to just respawn the player one, and immeditaly respawn them again. But we all know that this double respawn is only a fix if the player is revived in under 1.9 seconds after their death. Now I know from experience with a lot of respawning plugins that if a player dies and is revived as a "ghost", you can still bring them back in the round if you revive their ghost. This must be because of the delay between when you revived them as a "ghost", and when you revived their "ghost".
It must be some kind of processing error, where if you don't give the server any time between the two respawns then it doesn't actually register the second one. Or something like that. I'm not too familiar with Pawn, but I do know that a short delay between respawning does in fact work every time.
Sorry for such a long reply for such a simple statement
Old 05-22-2007 , 17:46   Re: Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #4

That is not the reason for spawn problems, I could try to explain it but it wouldn't make much sense as I do not know how to get it across correctly.

I didn't really take a look at how it is done in this hero, but there are many plugins that respawn delay and work fine. Emp`'s Halo respawn comes to mind for one.

World Crafter, in your revival function: A. Make sure the user is connected, especially when you have something on a task; B. There is no black, the gray scale in HL is an alpha value. So your "Black flash" actually does nothing but send another message to the client.
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
World Crafter
Old 05-22-2007 , 18:20   Re: Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #5

I would post a screenshot of the black flash working, but I'm assuming that's something you wouldn't really care to see The black flash does work, though. The flash doesn't operate additively. You can throw dark, saturated colors, or even pure black, on the screen.
But I'm curious, if I don't check to see if the user is connected, and the user disconnects, what happens when it tries to revive the player? Server crash?
Old 05-22-2007 , 20:38   Re: Hero: Victim 15/21
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Crafter View Post
I would post a screenshot of the black flash working, but I'm assuming that's something you wouldn't really care to see The black flash does work, though. The flash doesn't operate additively. You can throw dark, saturated colors, or even pure black, on the screen.
But I'm curious, if I don't check to see if the user is connected, and the user disconnects, what happens when it tries to revive the player? Server crash?
Doh sorry I got mixed up with glow not a screenfade (aka flash) which is about the only exception to the rule.
Well I would rather ask why would you want to run natives on a disconnected client? Server won't crash at least not for what you have there, but you will get errors.
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu