Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)

Post New Thread Reply   

gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-19-2016 , 10:22   Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #1

Player models are usually not precached either by the server or the client (the only exceptions are CS, TFC and DoD, IIRC).

When another player uses a model you don't have, your client will automatically acknowledge that and the default player model (models/player.mdl) will be rendered in your client. This is probably the only case where the client doesn't crash if a model is not found.

My question is the following. Could this behavior be replicated on non-player entities? Basically I want to set an ent the model of a playermodel, but since the models are not actually precached, the server will automatically crash. I think the method AddToFullPack has to do something with it but I'm not really sure since I do not have enough knowledge about this method.

Last edited by gabuch2; 07-19-2016 at 10:23.
SpannerSpammer
Old 07-20-2016 , 01:51   Re: Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #2

If you are talking about Custom player models, then, no, there is no way for you to know what
model a client is using. The only way around this is for the server to enforce file consistency for
whatever model you want to use for your entity. I don't recommend that you do this though,
Players tend to like their customizations...

BTW, vanilla HL does precache models/player.mdl by default.
Anggara_nothing
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2016 , 13:07   Re: Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #3

How about sv_allowupload ?
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-20-2016 , 14:34   Re: Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #4

Nonoono, you didn't understand what I mean, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

Yes, technically, all players use player.mdl regardless of playermodel set in the "model" cvar and setinfo, however this value determines what model to display to other clients, and display the default player.mdl (the actual precached model) if the client doesn't have said model in their client, I want to know if this is possible to replicate on non-player entities.

I'll put it easy: How to set a client-side model on a non-player ent and display the default model if the client doesn't have it?

Quote:
there is no way for you to know what
model a client is using
native get_user_info(index, "model", output[], len);

Just for future reference if someone encounter this thread.

Last edited by gabuch2; 07-20-2016 at 14:35.
joropito
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-20-2016 , 15:44   Re: Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #5

you can't
it's handled by engine and you don't have access to client side engine

Divide et vinces
approved plugins | steam account

I don't accept PM for support. Just ask on forums.
If you're looking for private work, PM me.
Send a message via MSN to joropito
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-21-2016 , 16:15   Re: Client Side Models (models without precache / functionality of player models)
Reply With Quote #6

That's unfortunate :'(