Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure

Post New Thread Reply   

gunsofnavarone
Old 12-23-2010 , 06:45   FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #1

I recently converted a CS1.6 map for use in DOD. The map runs fine on my computer, but when I upload (and I've made 3 small modifications and uploaded each time) and try to run it on the server, I (always) get this error.

L 12/22/2010 - 07:14:13: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): File read failure
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): File read failure

The one thing I did note initially about it was the file permissions on the server, so I changed them so they we like (most) all the others: 777

I've done CS conversions before to DOD and I've never had this issue.

I created an accompanying .res file as well.

Also, after I changed the permissions on the file, I stopped the server, then restarted it, then opened my FTP and viewed the files again and the permissions did not change (they were the same as I set them at 777).

As an afterthought, because the wad files used came from the CS GCF file, I also checked their permissions. I also changed them, but the problem still persists.

Here's the contents of the .res file

// dod_stalingrad.res - created with RESGen v2.0.2.
// RESGen is made by Jeroen "ShadowLord" Bogers,
// with serveral improvements and additions by Zero3Cool.
// For more info go to http://resgen.hltools.com

// .res entries (21):
chateau.wad
cs_bdog.wad
cs_office.wad
de_piranesi.wad
de_vertigo.wad
gfx/env/seg3kbk.tga
gfx/env/seg3kdn.tga
gfx/env/seg3kft.tga
gfx/env/seg3klf.tga
gfx/env/seg3krt.tga
gfx/env/seg3kup.tga
halflife.wad
models/w_aflag.mdl
models/w_gflag.mdl
models/w_wflag.mdl
sound/ambience/dodambience1.wav
sound/ambience/germanwin.wav
sound/ambience/gerpointcaptured.wav
sound/ambience/uspointcaptured.wav
sound/ambience/uswin.wav
torntextures.wad

All of the textures indicated in the map (and the .res file) are indeed on the server.

The map was originally named cs_cod_stalingrad which I renamed initially to dod_cod_stalingrad and after the first encounter with the above error I renamed it once again to dod_stalingrad. I was assuming that possibly the conflict might have been in the name between dod and cod (though I've never actually encountered this before either - just as a precaution I changed it).

I had a friend who later helped me out a bit. Though we weren't able to determine the cause, we pretty much came to the conclusion that the problem seems to stem somehow from my server and not the map itself.

I packed the map and .res file in a zip folder and e-mailed it to him. He in-turn extracted the necessary wad files himself, and uploaded everything to his server. The map works.

The only distinction we could make in difference of servers is the flavor. His is Windows and mine is Linux.

As I say, we haven't pinned down the cause of the problem, and I don't understand how the difference in OS could have any bearing on it (though I don't completely rule it out either).

But, I am grateful to him for his help and it is gratifying to know that I didn't somehow screw up this latest conversion or that the map may be corrupt.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find something (thought I don't know where to look).

Also, there was a curious thing that I mentioned to him, and I don't know if this is a real issue or not. My friend compared setup through HLSW and both servers are the same with the exception of the OS. But as I mentioned to him, the server still has on it the default motd file. And when you read it, it says DOD 1.0 not 1.3 I don't know if it's a real issue or not or just a remnant that got overlooked in the versions. I've never noticed it before, that's why I mention it here.

Does anybody have any ideas?
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-23-2010 , 18:49   Re: FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #2

As a test, I would recommend seeing if it works on another Linux hosted server. It could very well still be the permissions. (Yes, that means I'm volunteering since I use Linux for my HLDS test servers)

Is the place where you see the DoD 1.0 at the very top left of the MOTD (title of the folder)? If yes, then that is just the hostname. When I start a listen server it shows that as "DOD 1.2" by default .
Old 12-24-2010 , 15:56   Re: FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #3

I've zipped the map and .res file up. You can get it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5b956s...stalingrad.zip

All the wad files are stock CS wads that I extracted from the CS GCF file which you should be able to do with GCFScape
Vet
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2010 , 10:57   Re: FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #4

I uploaded it to our Windows based server and everything worked fine. Must be a Linux thing.
Send a message via MSN to Vet
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2010 , 13:04   Re: FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #5

Hi Vet! Long time no see.

I just installed it on my Linux server. Everything works perfectly, no errors. If it's not a permissions issue then maybe it's a corrupt file? I'm surprised it doesn't tell you which file it can't read. That would help.
Old 12-27-2010 , 14:03   Re: FATAL ERROR: File Read Failure
Reply With Quote #6

Thanx Fysiks!

Maybe it's time I put in a support ticket @ gamerservers.com

Well, I've officially given up on this. Gameservers.com can't figure it out.

Thank You all for your help with this, I appreciate it.

Last edited by gunsofnavarone; 12-29-2010 at 08:07. Reason: Additional Comments