Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

How are non-steam servers illegal?

Post New Thread Reply   

BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 02-17-2009 , 19:27   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #11

Damn, your atmosphere must be clean.
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2009 , 19:59   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYSplayCS View Post
Damn, your atmosphere must be clean.
ha ... ha?

also, Steam = hot water.

also, his atmosphere? ...

It took me a while to figure out what you are trying to say.

on-topic:

I feel like the treatment of non-steamers on these boards is often excessively harsh, especially when you take into consideration that some countries do not allow Steam (according to slmclarengt).

To be clear, I understand why non-Steam is not supported, but I don't understand why mentioning non-Steam results in such a knee-jerk reaction like locking threads sometimes.

Last edited by stupok; 02-17-2009 at 20:04.
BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 02-17-2009 , 20:07   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #13

No no no, Steam CAN produce harmful gases and vapors ;)

Ask Gaben.
vittu
SuperHero Moderator
Old 02-17-2009 , 21:22   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
especially when you take into consideration that some countries do not allow Steam (according to slmclarengt).
I'm betting those are few and far between to even take into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
To be clear, I understand why non-Steam is not supported, but I don't understand why mentioning non-Steam results in such a knee-jerk reaction like locking threads sometimes.
I tire more of the ones that don't mention its non-steam because they know it's not supported (they usually don't provide you with enough info on the problem either way steam/non-steam anyway) and you try to help but the reason it doesn't work is cause it is non-steam.
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2009 , 21:42   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittu View Post
I'm betting those are few and far between to even take into consideration.
Actually many countries (maybe not first world, but there might be some) do not have/allow for STEAM. From a business standpoint, if a country allowed something like STEAM no-problem, you'd think STEAM would be available in that country. But it does not seem to be available everywhere (not all games are either).

I'd be interested to know if China supports STEAM (mostly because of their known notion of censorship) and how many Chinese use Steam over non-steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittu View Post
I tire more of the ones that don't mention its non-steam because they know it's not supported (they usually don't provide you with enough info on the problem either way steam/non-steam anyway) and you try to help but the reason it doesn't work is cause it is non-steam.
Yea, people like that are just trying to avoid being 1) banned and 2) shunned from any support (if it's a "steam" problem, people help, otherwise not).

EDIT: The main reason it would not be a good idea to support non-steam on these forums is we could be "contributory or vicariously liable" for copyright infringement if, for example, an infringing file was uploaded to this website or even if we condone and link to infringing files. There are 3 types of copyright liabilities:
Direct liability: You directly participated in the copyright infringement.
Contributory liability: You knew about (or should have) and/or supported it [copyright infringement] to a measurable degree.
Vicarious liability: You should have known illegal activity was occurring.

Better Definitions from University of Connecticut: here

Example: Two students share a dorm. Student A downloads a copyrighted work without authorization. Student B was also sitting at their own computer when student A says "hey dude, I'm downloading 'Movie A'". Student B is like "awesome, let's watch that later" then goes back to whatever he was doing before.

The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of Assholes as you should know it) then sues Student A for Direct infringement, Student B for contributory infringement and get this, the UNIVERSITY for vicarious infringement... Yep, the university "should have known" about the illegal activity therefore they are vicariously liable.

Alliedmods could be contributory or vicariously liable if support was even given. And that's not taking into account this is a FORUM where OTHER users (not necessarily condoned by administrators) post things. Oh boy, this gets fun but way over the scope of this discussion, lol.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!

Last edited by slmclarengt; 02-17-2009 at 21:51.
Speed!
BANNED
Old 02-17-2009 , 21:58   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezh View Post
Totally Agree.
For example, in my country (Argentina) Non-Steam is more popular than Steam for the simple reason that is free. Since the last years, Steam is more popular in Argentina, previously the people don't know about the word "Steam"
i think im able to say that, for every thousand (or even more) non-steam player there are 1 steam player here in argentina...
its totally depressive... and its annoyng, its just 10 bucks damn :S i am sure that 99% of people playing non steam would be able to pay steam...
BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 02-17-2009 , 22:00   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #17

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of service.

I am not explaining that one, think about it.
vittu
SuperHero Moderator
Old 02-18-2009 , 02:32   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
I'd be interested to know if China supports STEAM (mostly because of their known notion of censorship) and how many Chinese use Steam over non-steam.
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...370#post455370
Even though this is old, it seems games are cheaper there (possibly for the same reason they get extra tracks on their music CDs, incentive to buy non-pirated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
EDIT: The main reason it would not be a good idea to support non-steam on these forums is we could be "contributory or vicariously liable" for copyright infringement
You would think that would be reason enough not to have to support it let alone all the other things bail points out in his post here, yet there are still those that don't understand or complain or whine about it.

People writing these plugins/etc. spend their time doing so for free.... as Bail said "I am not going to start writing code that will work against every version of CS ever made." and they shouldn't have to.
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
Owyn
Veteran Member
Old 02-18-2009 , 03:01   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #19

"every version" really doesnt make any sense, there is no difference between steam and not steam hlds, all that metters is amxx (mb excluding few functions that are used in 0.1% plugins)
Send a message via ICQ to Owyn
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 02-18-2009 , 10:12   Re: How are non-steam servers illegal?
Reply With Quote #20

Owyn, actually, there are large differences between Steam and Non-Steam, mainly in the way they handle the backend stuff, which is why certian functions behave differently on Steam then they do on Non-Steam.

And about some countries not allowing Steam and only allowing Non-Steam, Non-Steam is illegal anyway you look at it. Modifing the Steam binaries to preform in a manner they were not designed for is against the Steam EULA (or at least what I understand of it anyways).

But, since this server is located in the US, this site is bound by US laws, therefore Non-Steam is legally considered illegal on these forums, regardless of the posters country of origin.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).