Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?

Post New Thread Reply   

WindPower
Old 04-19-2011 , 03:55   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace-Maker View Post
The gamedata updater is disabled in the snapshot releases. You have to update manually if you don't use an official release, so using that -dev versions didn't resolve your problem - sourcemod is just not checking for updates anymore;)
Oh crap, that'd explain it. Does the latest official release work with the TF2 update? If it does, I'll install it and report back.
SirCole
Old 05-08-2011 , 10:27   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #22

I just thought I would point out to anyone interested that this bug still seems to exist..
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-09-2011 , 14:15   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCole View Post
I just thought I would point out to anyone interested that this bug still seems to exist..
Yes, sadly it does.

Sadly, my game server (which is run by FireSlash, the TF2Stats owner) is still stuck on Debian Lenny (oldstable) 64-bit, so I can't say whether Debian Squeeze (stable) 64-bit fixes it or not.

It may be a firewall issue, but reportedly both TCP and UDP connections are open on port 53.

Edit: Sorry, I appear to not have been subscribed to this thread. Fixed it, so now I'll get notifications of activity here so I can prod BAILOPAIN... er... I mean participate in conversations on it.

Last edited by Powerlord; 05-09-2011 at 14:19.
SirCole
Old 05-09-2011 , 21:57   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Yes, sadly it does.

Sadly, my game server (which is run by FireSlash, the TF2Stats owner) is still stuck on Debian Lenny (oldstable) 64-bit, so I can't say whether Debian Squeeze (stable) 64-bit fixes it or not.

It may be a firewall issue, but reportedly both TCP and UDP connections are open on port 53.

Edit: Sorry, I appear to not have been subscribed to this thread. Fixed it, so now I'll get notifications of activity here so I can prod BAILOPAIN... er... I mean participate in conversations on it.
I actually have two physical dedicated servers, both running debian oldstable (lenny) one of them has this issue and the other doesnt, for the life of me I can't work out why either.

I filed a bug report about the updater extension about a month ago in hopes that someone might be able to make me a debugging version of the extension to get some more information, but that hasn't happened yet.

How do you know that the updater uses port 53?

interesting cause we run plesk on the machine with the problems and it has it's own firewall module, but that doesn't seem to be blocked..

I think I might try turning it off for 2 mins and restarting a server to see if it makes a difference!
Rizla
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-10-2011 , 02:00   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #25

im on squeeze and got no issues to report...yet
SirCole
Old 05-10-2011 , 02:15   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
im on squeeze and got no issues to report...yet
As I just found out after updating to squeeze finally because plesk finally supports it, I now have no issue, however I'm aware there are a few people out there who still have this issue with debian lenny.

As I pointed out above I have a second machine running debian lenny as well that does not contain the same issue..

Now that I've found squeeze doesn't have the issue I wish I hadn't of updated so I could help debug and find out what is causing this.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-12-2011 , 15:28   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCole View Post
As I just found out after updating to squeeze finally because plesk finally supports it, I now have no issue, however I'm aware there are a few people out there who still have this issue with debian lenny.

As I pointed out above I have a second machine running debian lenny as well that does not contain the same issue..

Now that I've found squeeze doesn't have the issue I wish I hadn't of updated so I could help debug and find out what is causing this.
Meant to ask this before:
Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit version of lenny which wasn't exhibiting this problem? I'm wondering if this is a 64-bit-only problem.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-12-2011 , 21:21   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #28

The TF2 Replay server also fails DNS if I try to set up a remote FTP mode for it, so I'm guessing this is a srcds issue rather than a SourceMod issue.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-13-2011 , 10:03   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #29

Finally got FireSlash to update the TF2Stats box to Debian Squeeze.

The first time I started my TF2 servers following the update, they grabbed the latest game data from updates.sourcemod.net. Yay!
Old 05-15-2011 , 19:19   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #30

OH NO YOU DIDN't! haha because I did the same and was coming here to post the link to my bug report so you could help find some sort of answer!

I guess we know to just upgrade to the current stable (squeeze)

this is the bug report for anyone else who still has the problem:

https://bugs.alliedmods.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4870

powerlord do you know what kernel you were running before the upgrade?