Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D2 server problem - Broken 8th slot

Post New Thread Reply   

roywheels
Old 02-27-2010 , 13:03   L4D2 server problem - Broken 8th slot
Reply With Quote #1

I've been having an intermittent issue with my dedicated L4D2 server. At some point during a game the 8th slot seems to become broken, preventing anyone from joining, whether it's a friend or a random person. HLSW shows 7/8, steam says 7/8 and yet anyone trying to join (console, in game or through steam) will get a message telling them that there are no slots available.

I've just finished a game where this happened and have scoured the log file to see if there was something to shed light on why this problem occurs. The only thing which might point to the failure is the following (I'm grabbing at straws here):

L 02/27/2010 - 16:23:44: "Seraph<93><STEAM_1:0:*******><Infected>" disconnected (reason "Seraph timed out")

'Seraph' timed out rather than quit- I guess it's a client side crash. Could that cause the slot to become unavailable to anyone else trying to join? The problem seemed to appear after it happened.

I am running sourcemod with a number of plugins but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd rather not have to take the server back to vanilla as it's used a lot by friends and they wouldn't be too happy to lose some of the plugs. It wouldn't be easy to test anyway as it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once in every ten games.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone shed some light on why it might occur? As I said, it doesn't happen on every game but can be game breaking when it does.