Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    This plugin let the players play the class they want for some time, but if the player can't play good as that class, he is blocked from using it for some time.
    Old 10-23-2010 , 14:13   [TF2] Limit class by skill (v3.0)
    Reply With Quote #1

Introduction

Remember when there were 4 spies in your team, and ALL of them were bad? Now it's over!

This plugin let the players play the class they want for some time, but if the player can't play good that class, he is blocked from using it for some time.

This is much better than class limits, because it considers the player's skill.

The players' skill may vary greatly depending of the map, his team and the other players, I suggest you to play some time using the class you want to limit before setting a required skill.

This plugin can only block snipers and spies, I won't add cvars for other classes.

Cvars

sm_limitskill_version - Plugin Version
    sm_limitskill_enable 1 - Enable (1) or Disable (0) Limit Class by Skill.
    sm_limitskill_minplayers 8 - Minimum number players to start blocking classes.
    sm_limitskill_print 1 - Print skill level to clients.
    sm_limitskill_default 7 - Class to switch players to when they get blocked from using another class (1 = Scout, 2 = Soldier, etc.) (Do not set any limit to that class, or the server may crash)
    sm_limitskill_<class> 0 - Skill needed to use <class>. (0 = disabled for that class)
    sm_limitskill_<class>_max 0 - Maximum number of <class> in one team before start blocking them

Changelog

1.0 - 23/10/2010 - Plugin released
    1.1 - 23/10/2010 - Added some other events that give skill
    1.2 - 23/10/2010 - A lot of new stuff: Class limits, so it will only start blocking after the number you set; Minplayers, so when there are only some players on your server, they can choose whatever they want; Bug fixes
    1.3 - 23/10/2010 - Admins with reservation flag will no longer get blocked; Bug fixes
    1.4 - 23/10/2010 - Bug fixes
    1.5 - 23/10/2010 - Added a last player cache, so if the player types "retry" on the console, he can't bypass the block
    1.6 - 24/10/2010 - Now it saves the player class skill, for example, if he was playing spy, then start playing medic, then star playing spy again, the spy's skill level is restored
    1.7 - 24/10/2010 - Found a better way to do the above
    1.8 - 24/10/2010 - Fixed some cvars issues
    1.9 - 24/10/2010 - Bug fixes
    2.0 - 24/10/2010 - Now skill points "expire"
    2.1 - 24/10/2010 - Bug fixes
    2.2 - 24/10/2010 - Bug fixes
    2.3 - 24/10/2010 - More bug fixes
    2.4 - 25/10/2010 - Now you get a 15 points skill bonus while standing on the control point (I am not sure if it works for the defending team)
    3.0 - 25/10/2010 - Removed all classes cvars, except sniper and spy; Bug Fixes
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (limitbyskill.sp - 1462 views - 17.0 KB)

Last edited by Matheus28; 11-24-2010 at 06:37.
    casvdry
    Old 10-23-2010 , 19:51   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #2

Don't worry you didn't. Give it time and I'm sure this will become popular.

EDIT: Provide all the details that affect your skill for each class. Also, are special considerations taken. Like Engineer and the team he's on? Naturally an Engineer on RED may have more Sentry kills but on some A/D maps considerably less teleports. Likewise on offense the Engineer may have far less Sentry kills and more teleports. Is the skill calculated over a certain time period? If so, how long is that time period? You need to put a lot of information here to describe exactly what this does.

Last edited by casvdry; 10-23-2010 at 19:54.
    Matheus28
    Old 10-23-2010 , 20:01   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #3

I keep changing the values all time, I recommend you to test it by yourself, I don't have a server to test it. Most events that are hooked give players some skill.

When the player changes classes, he gets "immunity" from being blocked for 240 seconds, you lose 1 skill point every 10 seconds, every kill gives you 5 points. Some other events also give you more points. During the setup time you don't lose skill, also, the skill points aren't reseted between each round.

Also, there is no distinction between teams when giving points.

Last edited by Matheus28; 10-23-2010 at 20:54.
    Sir Jake
    Old 10-24-2010 , 14:13   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #4

I hate the idea of limiting players for the classes they want to play. Yet this seems much better than fully blocking people from playing a class.
    snelvuur
    Veteran Member
    Old 10-25-2010 , 10:21   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #5

how does it calculate "skill" ?

Sometimes a heavy medic combo just defends a point, while they dont do much kills, when the time comes its a great asset. But i assume its more for spy's snipers..
    Old 10-25-2010 , 11:24   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snelvuur View Post
    how does it calculate "skill" ?

Sometimes a heavy medic combo just defends a point, while they dont do much kills, when the time comes its a great asset. But i assume its more for spy's snipers..
    Yes, you should use it only for spies and snipers, but I added support to every class.

It counts skills every time you do something that may help your team. (Teleports, blocking cps, capturing cps, uber, etc.)
    Sammy-ROCK!
    Old 10-25-2010 , 13:08   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #7

So defending cp/intel while the other team is not attacking may block your class?
    Matheus28
    Old 10-25-2010 , 13:12   Re: [TF2] Limit class by skill
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sammy-ROCK! View Post
    So defending cp/intel while the other team is not attacking may block your class?
    Probably, but remember this is intended to limit only snipers and spies, but I added the feature to use it with other classes.

I'll add something to detect if the player is standing on the point or has a sentry there, so he'll get skill.

EDIT:

I think I fixed that problem

Last edited by Matheus28; 10-25-2010 at 18:17.