Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:
    Plugin Description:
    Replaces safe room first aid kits with pills in versus games.
    Old 12-26-2009 , 21:48   [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1
    Reply With Quote #1

Since L4D2 no longer a has health bonus for survivors, there's little incentive for them to look for items in versus. As such, versus matches tend to consist of the survivor team rushing since most teams can make it to the safe room with the first aid kits provided at the start of the round.

By replacing those first aid kits with pills, this plugin looks to make versus matches more challenging. This also gives a better pay off to teams that can search rooms efficiently, which should give way to more varied game play.

This plug-in has been tested with the stock L4D2 levels, it even takes care of the annoying extra medkits in Hard Rain.

It should also work with add-on maps, I've tested it with a few already.
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d2_NoSafeRoomMedkits.sp - 5531 views - 3.8 KB)

Last edited by Crimson_Fox; 01-01-2010 at 06:43.
    dacomb
    Old 12-27-2009 , 14:26   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #2

So there are never any kits in the game short of the occasional randomly spawned kit?

I don't mind if the players have a starting kit... it's the kits every 100 yards throughout the map that's silly.
    I don't even mind 1 defib in the safe room that forces the player to choose between defib or kit potentially leaving one kit behind.

Personally, I don't mind if the survivors make it to the saferoom... So long as it's a fair and balanced game...

So far all the plugins that strip survivors of everything seem as unbalanced as the vanilla versus mode.

For my part, I've been trying to find the best balance of SI tweaks in my config along with various plugins to provide an intense game where the survivors can rush if they want but can still be stopped by an organized attacked.

Really the only problem I've seen is when there's 4 or sometimes 6 kits 3/4 of the way to safe room...
    The Parish Map 2 comes to mind...

Anyway, I like the idea of your plugin but it would be nice if there were someway to have control over the overall placement of kits and pills and such.

The Scavenge Remix plugin comes to mind but I'm not sure if the concept could be applied to Health related items.
    jackpf
    Old 12-27-2009 , 14:39   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #3

Oh you bastard.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=113492

Crimson_Fox
    Old 12-28-2009 , 05:03   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacomb View Post
    So there are never any kits in the game short of the occasional randomly spawned kit?
    No, all the items are the same except the safe room medkits. Those are replaced with pain pills.

Quote:
    I don't mind if the players have a starting kit... it's the kits every 100 yards throughout the map that's silly.
    I don't even mind 1 defib in the safe room that forces the player to choose between defib or kit potentially leaving one kit behind.

Personally, I don't mind if the survivors make it to the saferoom... So long as it's a fair and balanced game...
    I completely agree about excessive medkits. In fact, other than the safe room medkits, I had them completely disabled in my L4D1 server. The problem I find with L4D2 is that you can no longer prevent the medkits from spawning with a cvar and there is yet to be a plugin that prevents all random medkits. I don't want to prevent some of the medkits only to have one team get an unfair advantage because they didn't get the same amount of kits as the other. I figured I'd try this approach since I can guarantee both teams will not get starting medkits, thereby keeping things fair for both.

I don't mind survivors making it to the safe room as much as them always using the same strategy to do it: go the shortest path as quickly as possible. I don't feel that rushing itself is the problem but rather that the alternatives are not nearly as effective. By replacing starting medkits, rushing is made more difficult. The idea is that by making other strategies closer in terms of effectiveness, it gives the survivors an incentive to try different ones.

Quote:
    So far all the plugins that strip survivors of everything seem as unbalanced as the vanilla versus mode.

For my part, I've been trying to find the best balance of SI tweaks in my config along with various plugins to provide an intense game where the survivors can rush if they want but can still be stopped by an organized attacked.
    I'm right there with you bud. Two of my favorite plugins is Ghost Fly and Infected Character Select. They allow the infected to react quicker to opportunities and coordinate better. This makes them more effective without nerfing the survivors or buffing the infected.

Quote:
    Really the only problem I've seen is when there's 4 or sometimes 6 kits 3/4 of the way to safe room...
    The Parish Map 2 comes to mind...

Anyway, I like the idea of your plugin but it would be nice if there were someway to have control over the overall placement of kits and pills and such.
    So would I! If there was a plugin that consistently removed all the medkits I'd be one of the first to load it. =)

Quote:
    The Scavenge Remix plugin comes to mind but I'm not sure if the concept could be applied to Health related items.
    It's not quite the same. Gas cans are pre-placed items, that can be changed pretty easily. So can pre-placed medkits. The problem is that the director can spawn medkits dynamically- those are harder to change. There was talk over at Crow's Annoying Item Remover about using a new feature where items can be changed as the director spawns them. That has a lot of potential, but meanwhile I figure I'd work on a couple of other ideas of my own.

I figure worst case I can give it a crack if it's not ready by the time I'm done.
    Crimson_Fox
    Old 12-28-2009 , 05:04   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackpf View Post
    Not sure what the problem is bud, we're doing pretty different things here.
    jackpf
    Old 12-28-2009 , 06:07   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #6

Oh, i thought they were quite similar.

I was kidding anyway. But yeah, im with you on removing med packs
    Old 12-29-2009 , 01:03   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #7

I know that the kits are now scripted into the map themselves, but is it still not possible to leave the safe house kits, but convert all the other kits (minus defibs since I have that black and white on defib plugin) into pills?
    Crimson_Fox
    Old 12-29-2009 , 06:28   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
    I know that the kits are now scripted into the map themselves, but is it still not possible to leave the safe house kits, but convert all the other kits (minus defibs since I have that black and white on defib plugin) into pills?
    Sure is, check this plugin out: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=110674

The reason I wrote this one is because Crow's Annoying Item Remover doesn't let you change just the safe room medkits.
    Crimson_Fox
    Old 12-29-2009 , 06:33   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackpf View Post
    Oh, i thought they were quite similar.

I was kidding anyway. But yeah, im with you on removing med packs
    Yeah, just that alone makes a pretty big difference in versus!
    JackieChan
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 12-29-2009 , 17:21   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimson_Fox View Post
    Sure is, check this plugin out: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=110674

The reason I wrote this one is because Crow's Annoying Item Remover doesn't let you change just the safe room medkits.
    Ah, okay. Was hoping it was the case in your plugin because it seems a lot less technical than Crow's. No worries though. I'll try out Crow's. Thanks.