Thread: Forum mod
View Single Post
knocker
Old 09-16-2004 , 17:31  
Reply With Quote #6

finally ... i will definitely test this ... i wanted to ask you all the time when you would release it

i'll give you some feedback in a couple of days ;)

edit:
i couldnt wait to test it and installed it right away . i used this hack to modify my phpbb because this one includes many options ... i just changed "info" to "steamid".
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download.php?id=193
but somehow it shows the fields but doesnt want to change them in the database ... i changed the field now per phpmyadmin to test your plugin.

i used this settings:
fm_forum_db "xxx"
fm_kicknonregged 0
fm_regurl ""
fm_prepend "(U) "
fm_forceforumname 1
fm_access "bm"
fm_forumurl ""

the server changed my name when i joined according from yyy to my forum name (you could add immunity!), so this worked, i got this message:

"yyy" connected, address ""
[Forum mod] Forcing Pub: name on yyy (person isn't registered).
[Forum mod] checkreg: (U) yyy (STEAM_xxx) is registered on boards as knocker
[Forum mod] knocker (STEAM_xxx) is registered.
[Forum mod] checkreg: knocker (xxx) is registered on boards as knocker
[Forum mod] knocker (xxx) is registered.

so first it renamed me to (U) yyy then checked if i was registered and then renamed me? so the first rename wasnt really necessary ;)
when i was registered i checked even my pm and this worked too ... good job

... since i got all flags i couldnt test the additional flags. so i deleted my steamid, restarted map and connected again:

"yyy" connected, address ""
[Forum mod] Forcing Pub: name on yyy (person isn't registered).
[Forum mod] (U) yyy (STEAM_0:0:91655) is not registered.
[Forum mod] Forcing forum name () on (U) yyy
L 09/17/2004 - 00:51:01: [forummod.amxx] ERROR - length of forum name is 0, won't set it on (U) yyy!
L 09/17/2004 - 00:51:01: [forummod.amxx] ERROR - length of forum name is 0, won't set it on (U) yyy!
L 09/17/2004 - 00:51:01: "(U) yyy" entered the game
L 09/17/2004 - 00:518: "(U) yyy" joined team "CT"
L 09/17/2004 - 00:518: [forummod.amxx] ERROR - length of forum name is 0, won't set it on (U) yyy!

so it changed my name as it should for the first time but tried 3 times to rename me ... i think there are more unregistered players than registered so this funtion should consume as less cpu operations etc as necessary ;) i dont know why you coded it this way, but i just saw how many times this messsage showed up . i just wondered why the plugin didnt see that the steamid didnt match any id from the forum and stopped checking/renaming ...
when i reconnected to the server it gave out these three messages again but didnt change my name again!! i even restarted the map and connected again but it just showed the messages in the serverconsole without renaming me ...

but i am glad this release is working in its main parts ...

some other things i thougt you could add :
- instead of renaming players by adding something in front of their names there should be an option to add it behind them ... i think most players get a little bit excited if you change their name but especially at the beginning ;)
- you should give out some messages to unregistered players if you change their name and why they got some other disadvantages (according to cvars) or telling them the advantages of registering.
- same thing to registered players: a short message which says they are logged in etc ...

good work
Send a message via ICQ to knocker