View Single Post
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 10-04-2011 , 06:03   Re: SMAC Development thread

Note to users: This post is irrelevant to SMAC's ability to handle cheats.

I thought I'd write here about a problem with SMAC. The source code is a mess, and as it expands it's only getting worse. It's at the point where it's impossible to contribute code without studying the current layout for several hours.

There are new modules and an extension in the works, and I'm sure that it will send its complexity way over the top. No one would dare touch this thing or it could break. If changes aren't made and I happen to lose interest in working on SMAC, that would likely be the end of it.

I'm proposing that the plugin be split up into true modules, with a core to provide natives that the other modules can use. The layout could be something like this:
  • /include/smac.inc
  • /smac.sp
    • Handle logging, banning, autoupdates, etc. Everything but cheats directly.
  • /smac_aimbot.sp
  • /smac_eyetest.sp
  • /smac_wallhack.sp
  • etc..

KAC had everything compiled in to one file (including translations) to make it as easy as possible for users to install, get running, and update. It's true that it makes it easier, but it's also more error prone and harder to maintain. I think it's time to abandon that idea completely and move forward with SMAC as it's own idea of an anti-cheat plugin.

I know this might be a little confusing to users at first (having a separate "plugin" for each feature), and I'm also aware that over 1000 servers already run SMAC in it's current state, but in the long run I think it will be worth it.

Any questions/comments?